Prot damage is holding back raid progression

#0 - Jan. 11, 2010, 5:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There's a really obvious problem with the state of protection warriors that the developers don't seem to understand (based on recent blue posts). If the prot warrior does 2k dps, and the death knight tank does 4k dps, then the dps loss of using the warrior instead of the dk is often holding back progression in difficult fights. I was tanking 10-man rotface this week, thinking that if I could do as much damage as my dk friend we would have killed him much sooner. The developers need to understand that in the era of higher tank dps, reducing tank damage while increasing threat to compensate is a significant nerf. I would like to see prot pvp get nerfed (if that is necessary) while prot damage is increased.

Another thought: When WotLK came out, I assumed that the lower damage of prot versus the other tanks was intended to be a trade-off for prot's many utility abilities. As we make our way into icc, it's become increasingly apparent that the utility of the warrior is far overshadowed by the superior damage of the other tanks. Warrior tank damage needs to be significantly increased while threat is reduced to compensate, not the other way around.
#62 - Jan. 13, 2010, 1:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We understand that warrior damage is on the low end but regarding the raid progression, it's a hard case to say that your wipe on Festergut (as an example) was caused by the difference between tank damage when the dps from focused classes like rogue, warlock, etc. can probably improve to beat the enrage timer.
#72 - Jan. 13, 2010, 2:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

We are not arguing that pure dps classes could not improve their dps.

We are arguing that they should'nt have to do so ****To make up for our slack****

And it's hard to say that having increased dps on the tank really would have done the trick. When you wipe with 500,000 health left on a mob, do you feel that the tank needs to up their game? Or do you look at the dps and figure out what parts can push a little harder? It's always been the latter in my experience but yes, I understand that my guild(s) aren't like everybody else.