Emblems of Conquest....Really?

#0 - March 5, 2009, 8:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Do we really need a new emblem to collect?

I already have 200 Emblems of Valor that are collecting dust because the very limited amount of gear I could buy with them isnt all that warlock friendly thanks to gear homoginization. So I thought great....I'll just hang on to them then when they add some new gear in the Ulduar patch I might have something to buy...apparently I was wrong.

Why not just have the Ulduar 10/25 man gear cost the equivalent Emblem of Heroism/Valor but just increase the number of tokens required to purchase the new items....the same way you've done all throughout BC with new content patches.

I've gone through months of raiding and haven't been able to spend one emblem of valor yet and now I guess I can just throw them away because they'll have no use after next patch.

#16 - March 5, 2009, 5:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
the same way you've done all throughout BC with new content patches.

This is the main point, the badge system was new in The Burning Crusade and we are working on improving it. We want to avoid having people stock up on Karazhan/Naxxramas throughout the entire patch cycle and provide more of a reason to focus on new/higher content to progress through it. With all of the dungeon versions coming out people would feel "forced" to do Naxx10, Naxx25, Ulduar10, and Ulduar25 each week to stock up on piles of one badge to whenever the next tier came out they could buy everything - having a tiered badge system requires everybody to start on the same level and earn new badges for new gear.

Also, the emblems can be downranked (but not the other way) so you can turn in emblems of valor/conquest and get emblems of heroism to buy gems or even heirloom items if you decide to level another character.
#18 - March 5, 2009, 5:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I like the idea, and would rather it cost less of the higher ranked emblems to get gear, than have to farm every dungeon, every week to buy stuff. I approve, so you know it's the right decision, Bornakk!

To add on to this, if farming every dungeon did give you an advantage we would probably inflate the cost of new items - I'm sure you'd love to be spending 300 emblems of heroism on 1 item. :)
#26 - March 5, 2009, 5:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

As long as you understand that this completely devalues the daily heroics, Naxx, and pretty much every heroic.

I imagine new players will have a hard time getting groups together to farm old content so they can get gear to not waste spot in new content.

Which should in turn encourage progression to another tier of badges. And finding groups for heroics and whatnot, I've been seeing complaints about getting groups for those since TBC, nothing new, but people still seem to find a way if their goal is the top level of progression that is available.

Q u o t e:
It would be nice if there we more items to buy with Emblems of all tiers. Not better items, as had happened in BC, but simply more. Gems will help with that, a bit, but for those who have no real off-specs (Hunters, Mages, etc.) or no alts (me!), it's far too easy to run out of Emblem items that are really worth buying.

Heck, while I obviously have Valor items to buy, since I don't do much in the way of 25-mans, I'm already done with my first off-spec set (Moonkin) in terms of Emblem of Heroism gear and I've been done with my main set for a LONG time.

Generally speaking what you see is what you will get. We might add new things here and there, but there is no grand plan to release a pile of new gear into the Emblem of Heroism Quartermaster.

Q u o t e:
We have seen the new emblems of conquest for 25 man uldar. They are exchangable to emblems of valor.

One thing I am wondering is will Uldar 10 drop valor badges? since uldar 10 = naxx25 in terms of item level?

Yes (in a different color)
#87 - March 5, 2009, 10:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I don't quite understand this. Sure it makes sense to allow trading an emblem of valor to an emblem of heroism on a 1:1 ratio (though it would be nice if it were more than 1), and it makes sense to not allow the reverse. But why not allow the purchasing of a higher emblem with a greater ratio of lower emblems, like say 25:1 (ie: 25 heroism : 1 valor , 25 valor : 1 conquest)? That way people who have collected so many of a lower emblem and who aren't going to use them didn't completely waste their time.

Then it defeats the purpose of the tiered emblem/badge system because you would have to stack up 500+ emblems of heroism and 500+ emblems of valor to buy a bunch of emblem of conquest items on day 1. We feel that if you aren't running the content that provides higher level items, then maybe you don't need those items and it is okay to not hand them out on an Isle of Quel'danas platter.