Locked chest etiquette

#0 - April 18, 2007, 1:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I was thinking, why is it that if there is a locked chest and you have a rogue in your group, you all /roll and it's considered common practice for the rogue to unlock it and let the winner take the loot?

The most common arguement is that the rogue couldn't get there on his own, so group effort = group loot, im not going to disagree with this, it makes perfect sense.

So how is it that when we stumble across a vein / herbs in an instance (which most now have) the people with those professions just roll and take it?

Isn't it the exact same thing?. They couldn't possibly of got to that vein without the help of the rest of us, yet they get it because they hold that skill, if no-one in the group had mining they would simply walk past it, likewise if theres a locked chest and no rogue, you walk on by.

It's not like veins are just ore anymore either, they include valuable gems and such, so why are these people getting the loot with no questions asked, yet a rogue thats taken just as much trouble to get his lockpicking skill to the appropriate level is required to open the box and let you all roll on it's contents.

Double standards if you ask me.

Gone

#22 - April 18, 2007, 3:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I was under the impression that many rogues are too lazy to skill up their lockpicking. So every time we let you open a chest, we're actually helping you. I don't see you giving us money for that :)
#29 - April 18, 2007, 3:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Rogues are pretty much the best DPS class you can get for 5 mans at least, and in the upcoming patch they will all have improved sap so I don't see being able to open lockboxes as a reason to take a rogue. With that logic you might as well take some random crappy player just because he's an engineer and can blow up chestlocks or doors.

I think he was jesting :)
#98 - April 18, 2007, 8:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Aren't WE helping YOU level up lockpicking then? Sounds to me like rogues should be paying us then :D

That's what I was saying ;)