Why is blizzard runing tanks out of business?

#0 - Jan. 14, 2008, 10:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I noticed that usualy blizzard tries to make balanced games. They are not perfect but at least they are mostly blanaced compared to other games out there. So I bealive that the developers probably gather around at a table and discuss things over about how to better balance and impliment things.

So in their all mighty wisdom, they decided that if the tank is the person who dies the most often in a raid, since usualy he is the first person to fall in case of an whipe, while other members can run away enough to reset the boss, or use vanish feign death etc, blizzard decided that it would only be natural to make the tank recieve the highest repair bills for it.

And in order to bring balance to the force they decided that in order to compensate for the highest repair bills, the tank should also be the class wich is the most dificult to farm gold with. Personaly I have a lvl 70 warlock and a lvl 70 warrior. While my warlock is fully epic I pay around 15g for repairs if he is red, while my warrior who is half epic can reach up to 35 gold. A simple grinding quest wich can take 10 minutes for my lock, can take up to 25 minutes on my war.

Blizzard then realised that things are still not balanced enough and decided to make it so that the warrior would also require protection gear for bosses like hydross al`ar etc. The rest of the raid doesnt neeed to necesarily have this gear, besides the main tank making this a fun, and fair for every one game
#12 - Jan. 14, 2008, 1:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
While there is some flavour aspect (plate takes more effort/materials/time to repair than cloth, for example) associated with the difference in repair costs for each armor type, the primary reason for the difference relates to overall class upkeep.

Each class has an upkeep cost, which includes things like purchasing reagents, food & water, etc…

While a cloth wearer may spend less in repairs than a plate wearer, he’ll likely spend more money on things like reagents.

Note that it’s not important for all classes to have completely equal upkeep costs. The goal is simply for each class to be fun and burden free.