PvP Discussion With the Devs

#1 - Feb. 10, 2017, 1:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi!

I was wondering if Blizzard has any intentions in discussing PvP game-play anytime "soon"?

Reading the PvP forums and playing the game myself has brought up lots of good important questions in the PvP community i think would warrant some careful looking in to.

If any Blizzard employee could take a moment to shed some light on the situation it would be greatly appreciated!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#2 - Feb. 10, 2017, 9:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Specific questions are generally easier for us to answer than broad "please talk about <insert topic>"-style posts, but this one actually gives a good opportunity to share some of our general thoughts about PvP at the moment.

Regarding overall class balance: in Arenas, we're overall pretty happy with it at the moment. We've been hearing a lot about the prevalence of Rogue/Mage comps lately, and may end up making some changes, but we're more likely to focus on buffing some underperformers than specifically nerfing anyone right now. To put it another way: Rogue/Mage is (and should continue to be) a strong comp, we just want to make sure there's a good number of other strong comps as well.

We made some changes not long ago to Random BG matchmaking to help with healer balance, and have been very happy with the initial results. There's still some edge cases we're looking to iron out (specifically, we're sometimes seeing games where one team has 2 healers and the other has none), and so we're still working on some additional improvements. So far, though, there's been a very noticeable difference overall.

Lastly I'll mention that we're planning another PvP-focused Live Dev Q&A, probably sometime around early to mid March. We'll get a proper announcement out once we've finalized all the details.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#124 - Feb. 13, 2017, 10:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
To give some more context on the comment I made earlier about Rogue/Mage: we think it's fine if RMx comps work well. We don't think it's fine if RMx comps are the only ones that work well. To put it another way: we wouldn't want to nerf Rogue/Mage to the point that no one wants to play it any more, but we wouldn't want to let it be grossly overpowered, either.

I don't have any specific changes to share at this time but wanted to let you all know that we're actively discussing it, and that the feedback we've gotten through this thread (and other areas as well) has been very helpful in isolating exactly what your concerns are.