3 54 weapons, what to do with AP

#1 - Jan. 23, 2017, 6:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So 2 days ago I finished off my third artifact, and now have 3 54 trait weapons. While this felt good as an accomplishment, in light of the recent changes whereby you can't put AP into maxed out weapons, this has led to something of a quandary.

In the past 2 days I have filled out 3 full bags of AP in my bank. What exactly am I supposed to do with these? I can't use them, sell them, trade them, give them away. Is my only recourse supposed to be deleting all of the AP I now get for the next 4 or so months? I implore you to offer an alternative, even something as extreme as stopping giving my character AP altogether.

Here's hoping there is a plan in the works, because I can see immense frustration looming in my future.
#171 - Jan. 24, 2017, 7:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/23/2017 10:56 AMPosted by Mlnideath
So 2 days ago I finished off my third artifact, and now have 3 54 trait weapons. While this felt good as an accomplishment, in light of the recent changes whereby you can't put AP into maxed out weapons, this has led to something of a quandary.

In the past 2 days I have filled out 3 full bags of AP in my bank. What exactly am I supposed to do with these? I can't use them, sell them, trade them, give them away. Is my only recourse supposed to be deleting all of the AP I now get for the next 4 or so months? I implore you to offer an alternative, even something as extreme as stopping giving my character AP altogether.

Here's hoping there is a plan in the works, because I can see immense frustration looming in my future.
Congrats! Possibly answered here, but just for clarity...

The solution is something we discussed briefly at BlizzCon, which is that we plan on adding more traits in 7.2. A brief rundown:
  • All existing 3-point traits will allow a fourth hard point to be invested
  • New traits will be released
  • Fourth relic slots will be unlocked
#174 - Jan. 24, 2017, 7:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/24/2017 11:50 AMPosted by Rubedo
01/24/2017 11:50 AMPosted by Ornyx
...Congrats! Possibly answered here, but just for clarity...

The solution is something we discussed briefly at BlizzCon, which is that we plan on adding more traits in 7.2. A brief rundown:
  • All existing 3-point traits will allow a fourth hard point to be invested
  • New traits will be released
  • Fourth relic slots will be unlocked

so, in the meantime, those take up bag space?
I don't have an immediate answer. Let me see if this is something the developers are aware of, and if we can address the problem.

I could see some kind of stored AP pool on the weapons working, but I'm not sure if the technology exists.
#182 - Jan. 24, 2017, 8:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/24/2017 11:59 AMPosted by Ramayana
01/24/2017 11:57 AMPosted by Ornyx
...I don't have an immediate answer. Let me see if this is something the developers are aware of, and if we can address the problem.

I could see some kind of stored AP pool on the weapons working, but I'm not sure if the technology exists.

So then you do have an immediate answer, the answer is to bank AP tokens and hope for a better solution soon.
Well, as others said - that's hardly a "solution". I've already sent a question over on this topic, so I'll have something more concrete later.
#196 - Jan. 24, 2017, 8:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/24/2017 12:20 PMPosted by Idolla
The way to fix this dev side is simple. Stop giving AP items as loot when someone is maxed out.

This isn't a complicated problem. What happens if you're maxed on gold? Gold doesn't drop. What happens if you're maxed on rep? You don't get any more.

Everything has a hard limit.
I don't think it's that simple. If a player only wants to level one of their artifacts for example, they would still end up with lots of these in their bags once their artifact is capped, no?
#297 - Jan. 25, 2017, 9:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
For Clarity:

With Patch 7.2, there will be several new traits added to Artifact Weapons. We’d like to clarify how these traits will unlock, to limit any confusion about how you can prepare.

After Patch 7.2 is available, players who have an Artifact Weapon at at least rank 35 will be able to further empower that Artifact through a short quest chain. Doing so will consume any ranks beyond 35 (refunding the Artifact Power spent to unlock them), increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade), and unlock access to the new 7.2 traits. You’ll immediately be able to spend any refunded Artifact Power on those new traits.

Note that any Artifact Power tokens acquired before Patch 7.2 will not be usable on an Artifact Weapon that has had its new traits unlocked. If you’ve already reached Rank 54, feel free to use any tokens you earn between now and then on alternate specs; there is no need to stockpile those tokens for Patch 7.2. We’re also planning to apply a hotfix in the near future that will allow the current Artifact Power tokens to be sold to vendors.
#301 - Jan. 25, 2017, 9:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Lets look at this step-by-step...

01/23/2017 10:56 AMPosted by Mlnideath

OP makes valid point about AP (regardless of what you think about no-life, hardcore, etc etc... the player did what the game required to obtain a reward... which should not be discounted b/c devs want to artificially lengthen their content)

01/24/2017 11:50 AMPosted by Ornyx
Congrats! Possibly answered here, but just for clarity...

All existing 3-point traits will allow a fourth hard point to be invested
New traits will be released
Fourth relic slots will be unlocked

Blue acknowledges problem but has immediate "Gotcha covered" answer (which really doesn't fix the actual problem, lack of comprehension much???)

<span class="truncated">...</span>

01/24/2017 11:50 AMPosted by Rubedo

Blue made aware of the actual issue at hand.

<span class="truncated">...</span>I don't have an immediate answer. Let me see if this is something the developers are aware of, and if we can address the problem.

Blue acknowledges problem and proposes fix that "may or may not" have a technological possibility (spoiler, it was already in game, but was hotfixed out)

<span class="truncated">...</span>

Wouldn't a "Stored AP Pool" simply be to remove the restriction that we can't invest AP into a 54 trait weapon? This restriction was added recently so it shouldn't be too hard to remove...

Blue called out by people paying attention...

<span class="truncated">...</span>I don't think it's that simple. If a player only wants to level one of their artifacts for example, they would still end up with lots of these in their bags once their artifact is capped, no?

Blue brings up another problem with the cap / artificial content extender hotfix.

AND THEN....

RADIO SILENCE

***Clearly Devs got back to him and said it was working as intended... If we are going to be penalized for AP grind post weapon cap, at least give us gold or some kind of tangible / usable reward (Augment runes, Vantus, etc) for doing things that would otherwise give us AP.
You've unveiled my secret plans - how dare you!

Or, you know, the simple answer was that we were using yesterday to coordinate our answer to this problem with our various regions around the globe, to make sure everyone has understanding on the issue and that we can get messaging out on what is forthcoming. What you see as radio silence is us working on the issue during the day, then, gasp, going home to sleep.

I'm aware the feature was recently changed in-terms of storage capability, and this was due to the feature mentioned in my previous post being implemented. I did not have immediate access to that information to share when I posted earlier in this thread.

Trying to call the CM team out for trying to get you answers really isn't going to help you or anyone else in the community.

01/25/2017 01:23 PMPosted by Duruid
01/25/2017 01:14 PMPosted by Ornyx
For Clarity:

With Patch 7.2, there will be several new traits added to Artifact Weapons. We’d like to clarify how these traits will unlock, to limit any confusion about how you can prepare.

After Patch 7.2 is available, players who have an Artifact Weapon at at least rank 35 will be able to further empower that Artifact through a short quest chain. Doing so will consume any ranks beyond 35 (refunding the Artifact Power spent to unlock them), increase the overall power of your Artifact Weapon (to ensure that losing ranks 35+ isn’t a downgrade), and unlock access to the new 7.2 traits. You’ll immediately be able to spend any refunded Artifact Power on those new traits.

Note that any Artifact Power tokens acquired before Patch 7.2 will not be usable on an Artifact Weapon that has had its new traits unlocked. If you’ve already reached Rank 54, feel free to use any tokens you earn between now and then on alternate specs; there is no need to stockpile those tokens for Patch 7.2. We’re also planning to apply a hotfix in the near future that will allow the current Artifact Power tokens to be sold to vendors.

You didn't mention anything about those who were able to stockpile millions of AP will they get wiped before the patch or will it be negligible? I can't imagine that the guy who had over 100 million AP added to his weapon post-54 won't have a massive advantage if there is a 2nd paragon trait system in the next patch.
This is something I'll ask about - I don't have an answer to it quite yet.
#308 - Jan. 25, 2017, 10:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/25/2017 01:51 PMPosted by Lucagrey
01/25/2017 01:14 PMPosted by Ornyx
For Clarity:

this is not a solution. What about those of us who dont care about other weapons, or like the op who cant use ap anymore? Saying "there is a vendor coming" is pretty cryptic. Will we trade ap for gold, or items and at what sort of rate? Is it worth it at all to save the tokens just to vendor or should we mark this up as a failure on your part with a capping system, unlike the infinity paragon in diablo 3 which you ripped off. You definitely need to provide more information here.
From my understanding, 'sold' has the implication of gold price here. Either way, the current tokens are effectively not of use with the 7.2 artifact upgrade.

01/25/2017 01:48 PMPosted by Chaingirl
01/24/2017 12:21 PMPosted by Ornyx
...I don't think it's that simple. If a player only wants to level one of their artifacts for example, they would still end up with lots of these in their bags once their artifact is capped, no?

You might not be a developer, but this is an incredibly simple problem if the developers are not monkeys.

Why would they only check your currently equipped Artifact?

The function would look like this, you would call this function anytime something drops AP.

bool isEligibleAP(){
for each (artifact in all_players_possible_artifacts){
if (artifact.level != 54 || artifact.level == null) {
//null check because maybe they dont have it yet
return true;
}
}
return false;
}

Congratulations, the issue is fixed.
Before you patch this into the game, warn all players that any held AP items will be turned into grays, so if they have any leftover they should use them immediately on offspecs that have space (if applicable).
When you patch this into the game, you turn all current AP items that a player has who is fully capped into gray vendorable items, truncate any AP leftover from people who overfilled weapons before the hotfix, and call it a day.

I'll take a job but I will only exclusively work from home.
Your backseat development is thoroughly appreciated.