Paladin class fantasy?

#1 - Jan. 4, 2017, 9:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
When I originally rolled this character Paladins were described as follows:

"Guardians of the Holy Light and defenders of the Alliance, paladins bolster their allies with holy auras and blessings to protect their friends from harm and enhance their powers. Wearing heavy armor, they can withstand terrible blows in the thickest battles while healing their wounded allies and resurrecting the slain. In combat, they can wield massive two-handed weapons, stun their foes, destroy undead and demons, and judge their enemies with holy vengeance. Paladins are a defensive class designed to outlast their opponents."

As someone who has played since launch I am saddened to see this class deviate so far from the fantasy Blizzard created 12 years ago. When did a paladin become a Diablo crusader? What happened to my blessings, auras, and general support abilities go? Not to mention the removal of flavor abilities like turn evil which not only added depth to the class but was a unique ability in pvp to fear warlock pets. Could we get a updated description of each class as seen by the development team, this would go a long way in helping me decide if I would like to continue playing this game.

Best,
-Care
#10 - Jan. 4, 2017, 11:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Why do you feel blessings and auras are fun? I can understand that it feels "nice" to help other players with buff spells, but, in general, they were just niche spells that actually didn't contribute much to meaningful game play (Seals are a different story, I guess). I never thought to myself on my Pally that turning on Retribution or Devotion Aura was going to result in an exciting change besides some passive armor or thorns-like-damage reflect.

The anti-undead themed abilities were cool though, in my opinion. I guess the question there that had to be answered was what happens when there's a zone or dungeon with no undead? Or an entire expansion without undead? Those skills essentially became useless.

The class can mean different things to everyone, so there's no right answer. Not trying to troll here btw, just personally curious on these points. :)

Also, updated descriptions of each class and spec were provided in the Legion Class Preview series, and you can find the Paladin one here: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/19955661
#12 - Jan. 4, 2017, 11:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/04/2017 03:28 PMPosted by Leviholyswag
Why do you feel blessings and auras are fun? I can understand that it feels "nice" to help other players, but, in general, they were just niche spells that actually didn't contribute much to meaningful game play. I never thought to myself on my Pally that turning on Retribution or Devotion Aura was going to result in an exciting change besides some passive armor or thorns-like-damage reflect.

The anti-undead themed abilities were cool though, in my opinion. I guess the question there that had to be answered was what happens when there's a zone or dungeon with no undead? Or an entire expansion without undead? Those skills essentially became useless.

The class can mean different things to everyone, so there's no right answer. Not trying to troll here btw, just personally curious on these points. :)

Also, updated descriptions of each class and spec were provided in the Legion Class Preview series, and you can find the Paladin one here: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/19955661

Of all the threads you respond to this one. Stop wasting your time and stop wasting the time of the people who actually make constructive threads. This is just a slap in the face to those who actually get on the PTR, test rigorously and then report here.
I think this thread is pretty constructive, actually.
#16 - Jan. 4, 2017, 11:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
<span class="truncated">...</span>I think this thread is pretty constructive, actually.

Hijacking this thread.

Why not a single word for Mistweavers?
*Just* sent an email asking for Mistweaver feedback. In due time.

01/04/2017 03:35 PMPosted by Leviholyswag
01/04/2017 03:29 PMPosted by Ornyx
I think this thread is pretty constructive, actually.

Everyone is reading this with their head in their hands wondering why they even try to give constructive feedback about the PTR. This is literally a thread about "class fantasy."

If it is so constructive please point out to me how it is because I am not seeing it.

**I genuinely do not intend for my responses to sound vile or demeaning, but this is getting ridiculous.
Class Fantasy is a key component of Class Design. The player is asking is asking about the removal of specific spells, and it's a good conversation to ask why they feel they were impactful and created engagement for them when they existed.

---

This probably doesn't belong in the PTR forum, and I just noticed it was. Moving to general for now.
#267 - Jan. 5, 2017, 7:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/05/2017 09:23 AMPosted by Tyberim
01/04/2017 03:25 PMPosted by Ornyx
Why do you feel blessings and auras are fun? I can understand that it feels "nice" to help other players with buff spells, but, in general, they were just niche spells that actually didn't contribute much to meaningful game play (Seals are a different story, I guess). I never thought to myself on my Pally that turning on Retribution or Devotion Aura was going to result in an exciting change besides some passive armor or thorns-like-damage reflect.

I doubt you'll read this because the thread has gone on for so long, but for the sake of providing feedback, I'll throw my two cents in the ring.

I'm going to base my argument around Paladins and Shamans, but a lot of what I'm going to say could just as easily be applied to other classes and the buffs they used to have.

So, why are Blessings and Auras fun? For the sake of including Shamans in the argument, I'll combine Auras with Totems, but will just call them Auras.

The reason why players enjoyed Paladin auras doesnt come from any one source. Giving someone an extra 2% physical damage reduction with Devotion Aura may not be gamebreaking, but it was there. You could always tell that the Paladin had your back just by looking up at the corner of your screen and seeing that shield icon for Devotion Aura. But that 'hell yeah' feeling from Auras wasnt solely a gameplay function.

When players talk about class fantasy, one of the things I think Blizzard constantly misunderstands isnt just how the class feels to play, it's how the class should play in terms of lore. A Paladin isnt just a Warrior who happens to use the Light. They're a guardian, a divine protector, a shield who stands at the front lines and protects their allies. You'll never find a Paladin sitting in the back with a bow or hurling magic. They wear Plate for a reason, and that reason is because you'll always find them right in the middle of the brawl.

A Paladin is a knight who leads from the front lines, but that isnt what defines them. A Paladin is a righteous crusader who protects the innocent, shields their allies, and takes the brunt of the damage onto themselves. When a group of soldiers see that a Paladin has joined the fight on their side, they get a burst of morale, because now the Paladin is here to save them and suddenly there's hope of winning when there wasn't before.

A Paladin's Auras represented that perfectly. When a Paladin is in a fight, they dont just fight the enemy, they strengthen and rally their allies. Soldiers who were wounded are suddenly brought back from the brink of death when the Paladin lays their hands on them. Soldiers who fled in fear find their courage bolstered. Soldiers who are exhausted find the strength to pick up their swords and march back into the fray. A Paladin brings that sense of duty and courage and hope with their mere presence, and giving Paladins the ability to strengthen their allies through Aura spells was a fun and thematic way of presenting that.

Not to fire shots or start a flamewar, but the reason that Auras were removed werent because players didn't like them, it's because Blizzard didn't like them. Paladin Auras were nerfed several times because Blizzard didn't like how a Paladin's allies were essentially getting free buffs, despite that being an iconic theme of the class. Then when the nerfs were so heavy that the Auras did effectively nothing, they were removed entirely. Players never asked for this. Asking players why they want something back that made the class fun 'because it wasnt good' is a bit disingenuous when Blizzard is the reason they werent good to begin with.

TL;DR Paladins want their Auras back because a Paladin's presence grants strength and hope to their allies. That's what a Paladin does. Taking that away weakens the theme of the class as a whole, and pruning abilities just because they'd be easier to bake into the class is not an improvement of design.
I don't think it's anything close to "shots fired", I think it's a perfectly reasonable explanation.

I feel like the nerfs that came to them were a move in the direction of making it to where bringing a Paladin didn't feel necessary to the group because of the buffs they provided, which is much the same with Shaman totems. Though I understand the sentiment a bit more with Shaman totems (its never felt the same since they were removed in Mists), as I've played my Shaman longer than my Paladin. Even now, the auras are given off at a much reduced range, with different effects for the most part, which isn't so much akin to how it was previously.

My concern there is that there is probably a better and more involved way of bringing that theme of an "inspiring presence" to the battlefield than what auras were/are. Personally, I think the way they are now may not be a good "fantasy" of this, and there are probably improvements that could be made to the overall theme, but I'm not too sure which way they could/might go. This is more the reason I ask why you want it back.

Fun is subjective, sure, but in that vein its good to note that the game's population has very much diversified since the days where auras were as you remember, and there is a much wider audience who might not look at it in the way of "turning on this passive buff really felt like I was inspiring my group and creating a meaningful difference". Its hard to see when looking at the forum community, as most posters here are some of the longest-time players, and don't always represent, I feel, a super wide berth. Creating a skill that lasting and memorable for that greater group seems like a better direction, philosophically, (albeit a harder one) and creating something feels like auras did way back when, but has an impact that adheres to more modern design is something I can see us doing more than just giving auras back as they were.

I don't necessarily have answers to these questions, and I don't necessarily feel there is a "right" answer. Also worth saying: what I say isn't necessarily our design direction, FYI.
#392 - Jan. 6, 2017, 1:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post
01/05/2017 03:26 PMPosted by Aliantonn
01/05/2017 11:51 AMPosted by Ornyx
...I don't think it's anything close to "shots fired", I think it's a perfectly reasonable explanation.

I feel like the nerfs that came to them were a move in the direction of making it to where bringing a Paladin didn't feel necessary to the group because of the buffs they provided, which is much the same with Shaman totems. Though I understand the sentiment a bit more with Shaman totems (its never felt the same since they were removed in Mists), as I've played my Shaman longer than my Paladin. Even now, the auras are given off at a much reduced range, with different effects for the most part, which isn't so much akin to how it was previously.

My concern there is that there is probably a better and more involved way of bringing that theme of an "inspiring presence" to the battlefield than what auras were/are. Personally, I think the way they are now may not be a good "fantasy" of this, and there are probably improvements that could be made to the overall theme, but I'm not too sure which way they could/might go. This is more the reason I ask why you want it back.

Fun is subjective, sure, but in that vein its good to note that the game's population has very much diversified since the days where auras were as you remember, and there is a much wider audience who might not look at it in the way of "turning on this passive buff really felt like I was inspiring my group and creating a meaningful difference". Its hard to see when looking at the forum community, as most posters here are some of the longest-time players, and don't always represent, I feel, a super wide berth. Creating a skill that lasting and memorable for that greater group seems like a better direction, philosophically, (albeit a harder one) and creating something feels like auras did way back when, but has an impact that adheres to more modern design is something I can see us doing more than just giving auras back as they were.

I don't necessarily have answers to these questions, and I don't necessarily feel there is a "right" answer. Also worth saying: what I say isn't necessarily our design direction, FYI.

Snarkiness aside, ornyx, what about warrior shouts? When we had battle shout to increase melee damage, demoralising to reduce tank damage taken and a longer lasting lower cd commanding? That was when we actually had some semblance of utility instead of just doing pure damage (and now not doing that great at it unless you're Top tier, legendary geared, lucky af or a combo).

Also stance dancing was so so fun. Like a pally said above, back in bc and wrath i could pop a macro to switch to def stance, sword and board up, shield wall and shield block, and tank the raid boss for a minute or two. Sure I'd be squishier than a dosge/parry geared tank, but it was Fun and utility, yknow?
Same thing really. I think my explanations would be the same along the lines of Warrior Stances, Mage Armors, Shaman Tomens, etc etc.

I can agree that the flavor these things gave did provide fantasy depth, for sure. I just wonder if we can't provide that same depth in a more intricate and exciting way in the future.

I don't have direct answers on why we made "x" decision or removed "y" spell, this is all just some personal musing on the topic.