Emergency: Arena Participation

#1 - Dec. 27, 2016, 10:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
PLEASE BE CONSTRUCTIVE IN FEEDBACK, PLEASE.

I'd like to express how grateful I am for those who've commented, viewed and thumbs up'd this post. Unfortunately it seems that Blizzard and team changed the cutoff metric without telling anyone, and don't seem likely to fix it. https://twitter.com/holinka/status/814351491075108864

Edit* https://mobile.twitter.com/holinka/status/81456071907296051 (Theres hope!)

Main Issues (as stated in thread by community):

• Lack of a solid rewards system to entice newer players to continue or start qing.
  • No way to really practice the Arena aspect, skirms are no diff than regular arena.
  • Healing is stressful and scary for some, mistakes feel awful, good play =s no reward.
  • LFG has failed, there is no way to hold rude players accountable.
  • Gear grind is far too long
  • Classes have no depth, aren't fun, and feel overall very lackluster.
  • Too much cc, or a better wording would be lack of ways to deal with cc
    Hi everyone, I know this isn't the Arena Forums, but we are in dire need of your (player base in general) help.

First off, thank you for actually clicking on this thread, that alone shows some form of support, which means a lot to us that PvP.

Below I am going to post some statistics from this last arena season, these numbers are pretty scary for most of us.

Legion: Season 1
  • Total Number of Rank 1 spots: 52 (24 Horde, 28 Alliance)
  • Total Number of Gladiator spots: 250 (140 Horde, 110 Alliance)
    Here's why these numbers are scary
  • Rank 1 is a title given out to players in the top .1% of the ladder
  • Gladiator is a title given out to players in the top .5%
    These numbers indicate that only 50,000 total players played or did arena this season

Comparing this to previous seasons (We'll use WoD s3 for example)

WoD S3 Data:
  • Number of R1 Spots: 242 Total
  • Number of Gladiator Spots: 1213 Total
    WoD S3 had nearly 5x the number of R1 spots, and Gladiator spots, so this begs the question... What Happened???

Over on the Arena Forums, we typically use the following two websites to gauge where we need to be at the end of the season to get our rewards.

Website 1: http://www.arenamate.net/arena-rbg-title-cutoffs
    Website 2: https://arenatracker.com/player-cutoffs.php

Both of these websites had shown that there would be a cutoff of around 2550 for Gladiator this season, but according to blizzard, the cutoff was 2700.

Additionally:
    The Arena Forums as a whole truly want to know why more people don't do arena, we're pretty sure these titles have been distributed wrongly, and blizzard has a track record of NOT fixing their mistakes in regard to arena. (See S2 WoD)

I would ask for those of you who read this to PLEASE post why you don't do arena. No one is going to flame you, or call you out on it, we truly want to know what keeps people from doing what we (arena players) love.

We love this game, and we love this aspect of the game, and we're slowly losing it, please help us.

Thank you,
    -Arena Forums.

TL;DR
    Arena Participation is at an all time low, Titles distributed last season are completely bugged, please post why you don't q arena, but please leave hyperbole and etc out of it.

Edit* (Amazing Post)
    12/30/2016 09:31 AMPosted by Hanazono
    12/30/2016 06:11 AMPosted by Groundit
    For those that say it's hard to learn, and that skirms/arena are just new guy stomping fields, how would you change that?
    It's not just arenas, though. It's PvP generally.

Allow me to illustrate the problem with several anecdotes.
    • One of my friends plays a Shadow Priest. He explained that he'll never PvP because every time he PvPs he dies in seconds (e.g. a rogue kills him before he can even do anything). I later learned he was talking about wPvP. When I informed him PvP templates mitigate this (not active in wPvP), he informed me he had no idea what PvP templates were.
    • In Temple of Kotmogu about a month ago, I saw a mage explain that he had no idea how to do this BG. I realized that none of the BGs tell you how to do them. No where in game does it tell players how to win EoTS. In most other games, the loading screen contains something like, "Victory conditions: capture the enemy base or destroy all enemy vehicles." But in World of Warcraft, you're not told jack !@#$.
    • The PvP templates and modifiers still aren't told to players in the UI itself. You have to download Addons (http://imgur.com/a/5yBDv) to be informed that your spells behave radically differently in PvP.
    • The entire reward system is hidden. We still have to guess how many people are in the ladder. Blizzard won't tell us that, either.
    • Blizzard still hasn't told us how their title cutoffs work.
    Basically, the game doesn't tell people anything. The game won't tell you how to win a BG. It won't tell you how your spells change in PvP. It won't tell you how to get arena titles. It won't tell you that if you get 10 more rating this week, you'll get Elite pieces instead of normal pieces. It won't tell you %^-*.

So it is any surprise that people won't PvP? When you enter an arena in legion, the mana cost, cast time, damage, and duration of all your spells will be different from what they are in the world. You're then told to play on a ladder you can't see, to earn RNG rewards that you know of (no PvP adventure guide), with stat templates you can't see/can't change, using new talents/abilities you don't normally have, playing on a team that doesn't exist, to earn two types of ELO (one of which you also can't see), all so you can get !@#$ed in the %^- by hidden changes to title cutoffs at the end of the season.

The vacuum of space contains the same amount of information on PvP/rewards that Blizzard publishes. And by that, of course, I mean none of at all.

How do you fix it? Well, how about actually telling people their hidden PvP modifiers in the UI? How about telling people their precise stat modifiers in Principles of War? How about actually telling the community how title cutoffs work? How about actually telling the PvP community anything?

Blizzard has said time and time again they need to work in improving community discourse. Well. We're waiting. I'm waiting. Holinka can drag his sorry !@# out here anytime and actually tell us what he, and the rest of PvP team, are thinking. Because we sure as hell are getting tired of guessing.
  • #919 - Jan. 4, 2017, 10:52 p.m.
    Blizzard Post
    Popping in to say that we've increased the post limit of this thread so it doesn't cap. We're also aware of this thread and the feedback in it, so feel free to continue sharing - thanks for all the notes so far!