Why is "dungeon deserter" a thing?

#1 - Jan. 3, 2017, 1:28 a.m.
Blizzard Post
If someone wants to leave, for whatever reason, replacements come almost instantly. In fact, lots of DPS are waiting in a queue to come into a dungeon.

Since it doesn't apply after you down the 1st boss, everyone stays til the first boss and then bails anyone.

If a person gets a dungeon they hate(for me, it would be Halls of Valor) - why can they not just leave and have someone enter who might actually WANT to be there?

It would be a much enjoyable experience if people didn't feel they HAD they stay.

Also, sometimes real life happens.... where you have to go AFK so instead of being AFK/deadweight in the dungeon you could just excuse yourself by leaving....but maybe the emergency AFK only takes 10-15 minutes, but now you have to wait another 15 before you can requeue.

Removing it, doesn't really harm anything. This way players kicked wont have to complain about being kicked and now having deserter, which was put in to prevent abuse of people begging to be kicked vs. leaving to avoid deserter.

Deserter is a bad mechanic, and it doesn't even apply to content that MATTERS like Mythic+ keystones that get depleted if someone decides to bail on the group.

Just do away with this old and outdated punishment of dungeon deserter.
#63 - Jan. 3, 2017, 5:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
01/02/2017 05:37 PMPosted by Aeskir
Because people would queue for a random dungeon then immediately leave if it wasn't the dungeon they wantedm you could literally wait an hour watching tanks join and leave if you were unlucky enough to get a dungeon like oculus.
I think looking at its inception, this is the most common-sense answer. It also previously served as a mechanic against AFKing in dungeons to gain currency such as Justice Points (member?), but we're a bit far down the line from that now.

I think its a good mechanic to prevent tanks/healers from jumping ship for a better group or a different dungeon, and saves the larger majority headaches and longer queue timers.
#66 - Jan. 3, 2017, 5:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think its a good mechanic to prevent tanks/healers for jumping ship

Wouldn't it be better to run with people who WANT to run the content?

If players are jumping ship there's something wrong with how the dungeon is designed compared to the other options. Rewards for Random Dungeons and the Deserter Debuff just masks crappy design choices.
It doesn't really have a one-point answer.

In a perfect world, sure. But there /are/ a set amount of dungeons to run at any certain level range, and if you prefer a set number of them, you can always single queue for those specifically (when it comes to random queueing).

But this problem also exists for players dropping out due to disliking their group, or thinking their group isn't good enough, etc.

<Edit: Got a do/due mixed up there :P>

...I think looking at its inception, this is the most common-sense answer. It also previously served as a mechanic against AFKing in dungeons to gain currency such as Justice Points (member?), but we're a bit far down the line from that now.

I think its a good mechanic to prevent tanks/healers for jumping ship for a better group or a different dungeon, and saves the larger majority headaches and longer queue timers.

Like I said Ornyx it was more of a thing to keep tanks/healers from refusing to do their roles in Cata. While I'm sure it was around earlier I never saw it as a tank. It was Cata where tanks/healers would just sit down and absolutely refuse to do the dungeon.

Now as a geared tank during that time it wasn't a problem. I do think that if a dungeon is going that badly before the first boss we should be allowed to leave once a week.

I also never waited hours for a healer (I mained a tank during Wrath/Cata). I watched DPS queue with a healer and that healer drop and we needed to wait for another healer but in the long run it ended up punishing people who started the dungeon and saw it was going bad.

But then I never saw the other BS that people were going on about at the time - like 'I got kicked from a guild group'. Yeah no. Never been kicked from a guild group but I still lost my privileges to invite. I had a pure DPS toon during the heyday of Cata too and would jump in queue as a tank because of the terrible tanks I saw. Wanted to give DPS something better. But if my tank sucked and dropped - well couldn't just get an invite back as the tank after a certain point.
There are definitely people who try to work the system for their benefit or pleasure, and I've seen the complaints about guild groups, and, while its never happened to me, I can see how that scenario would play out.

Not saying dungeon deserter will always stay the same, but it does serve a purpose even now in Legion. This is something we can always take in feedback on and review if people feel strongly about it either way. :)