Legendaries and how to get them:

#1 - Nov. 20, 2016, 8:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This post is here to provide advice to other players on how to get a legendary, according to two different GM responses.... So the advice should be the same right? Nope. Apparently Blizzard doesn't understand their own system.

The first blue post is from http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17614401625 stating that fail safe is a thing, so you do more content that drops legendary items and the chance increases. Essentially,with each roll of the die you have the less sides the die has the next time you roll it.

The next was in a support ticket where the GM states that "As with all random chances, the only way to increase your probability of having one is to keep trying." comparing them to all other random chances. Essentially the more rolls of the die you have eventually you will hit snake eyes.

Could someone clear this up? There is an issue with this system that needs to be addressed, I have 16 days + played at 110 with 1 legendary, while others have less than 10 with 4 legendaries... This isn't just myself that has the issue. I know several people who have quit because of the fact they couldn't get a legendary while others were on their 3rd or 4th... People can't even use that many.

To sum it up, they want you to play this game, play it until you can't play it anymore, then play some more, and maybe... just maybe if you are lucky enough you might get your first legendary which is worst in slot while your cousin steve has just boosted to 100, levelled to 110 and has his bis legendary as well as another legendary in less than a day.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#27 - Nov. 21, 2016, 6:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
21/11/2016 14:48Posted by Huzzaa
20/11/2016 21:19Posted by Karzara

http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17614401625#post-15

They have.

That post only tells you to go and f'in play and you'll eventually get it.

Basically analogous to doing anything in the game to get something.

Except this, is RNG in its entirety and Bad Luck Protection?

No, it doesn't exist. Aerythlea cleared that up by swinging around the subject like a fool, trying to convince you of something else, other than answering with: "Yes".

That is what I think of the matter. She better prove me wrong but oh wait... she can't. Companies name would be at stake.

Yes, bad luck protection does exist.

When it comes to most targettable loot from a boss (gear/mounts/pets etc.) those drops have a fixed drop chance. If "Boots of Unending Awesomeness" have a 33% chance of dropping, that chance will always be 33% regardless of how many loot-eligible times you kill that boss.

Legendaries on the other hand, if you are running Legendary-eligible content and don't get a Legendary, then your chance of getting one with increase over time. The more content you do without getting a Legendary, the higher your chance will become.

Let's say you have 3-sided die. If you roll the number 3, you get the item.

In the case of the "Boots of Unending Awesomeness," you could roll the die 20 times and never get a 3. Your chance of getting a 3 on your next roll is still 33%, as all rolls are considered unique and do not take previous rolls into account; the die cares not for the fact that you've yet to roll a 3.*

(*note that this refers to the items that drop directly from the boss and not the system of winning items via bonus loot, which has its own logic.)

In the case of Legendaries, you could roll the die 20 times and never get a 3. However, with bad-luck protection, the die will become more and more weighted toward giving you a 3. Due to the die becoming more weighted, the chance of getting a 3 on your next roll will be higher than without bad luck protection.