Zoom nerfed on PTR. Intended?

#1 - Oct. 20, 2016, 4:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
EDIT: It seems the Cvar itself was change to a new variable, and you will need the following command to access the increase in 7.1
/console cameraDistanceMaxZoomFactor 2.6
----
On the PTR, the macro to increase zoom distance does not work. I am unsure if this is intended or not, but it's obviously a massive step backwards from the compromise Ion offered in the long series of threads on this issue.

I am already having a great deal of difficulty playing the game as it is. I really hope this change was inadvertent. Furthermore, I'd like the original zoom nerf FULLY reverted as the current limit is already quite restrictive.

EDIT: The max zoom slider has been totally removed from the options menu. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvOU9-xWgAAuht0.jpg:large

Also, here is a comparison between PTR and live with macro applied
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvOWBUnWYAALfLT.jpg:large
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#22 - Oct. 20, 2016, 7:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Intended, yes - but maybe not quite in the way you phrased it.

The CVar has changed to cameraDistanceMaxZoomFactor, so the command you will want to use now is "/console cameraDistanceMaxZoomFactor 2.6". This value should also persist now, so you only need to use the command once.

The slider itself was unnecessary, and has been removed. The default value is set to the max, and very, very few people (if anyone?) used it to reduce their maximum zoom distance. The game's zoom distance will now default to the old maximum value of 1.9 unless changed with the above console command.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, though! Appreciate the feedback here. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#29 - Oct. 20, 2016, 7:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
10/20/2016 12:20 PMPosted by Laminated
10/20/2016 12:09 PMPosted by Ornyx
The slider itself was unnecessary, and has been removed.

Can you ask the dev team to do one small test before considering this to go live? Try the Lorlathil daily where you have to gather the nuts. I have to zoom way in to click on them, otherwise the click region is so small, it's frustrating. I'm sure there are other quests that will be similar (catching the squirrels or whatever they are) in hyjal, for instance.
This doesn't affect the amount you can zoom in, only the amount you can zoom out. We did take situations like this into account, but we don't believe players are necessarily reducing their maximum camera view distance for this (rather than just mouse-wheeling to zoom in).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#34 - Oct. 20, 2016, 7:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
10/20/2016 12:30 PMPosted by Morsel
Can I just buy the zoom out option on the shop. This is such a hassle.

Do you know what it's like to be a gnome and you can't see over the Dranei's hooves in front of you? Please let me zoom out. I don't have a foot fetish and should not be forced into staring at them.
There's a post two up from here that says how to obtain the function come 7.1.