Running OOM Was NEVER Fun.

#0 - March 1, 2010, 9:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Please rethink your Cataclysm goals. Right now healers function like Arcane Mages, we can blast throughput and our mana if we want, or we can play more conservatively losing output and gaining some downtime in order to have mana for extended periods of time.

I can't simply chain cast Holy Lights for 5 minutes. It requires meleeing for Seal of Wisdom procs and deciding when is a smart time to use Divine Plea. That's how healing SHOULD be.

I played a Priest in Molten Core from day 1 (account created on November 23, 2004) and let me tell you, there was nothing particularly enjoyable about running OOM, healer rotations and generally playing the game to NOT play the game at many times.

Healing right now is probably the most enjoyable that it ever has been in WoW. If health pools were scaled 50% and everything else left alone...things would be fantastic. Healers shouldn't be constantly fretting about what spells to use to avoid running OOM, we should be using the best spells for the situation while managing cooldowns which return the mana we need, losing some of our time and output to necessary devices that are necessary in the long run.

Please reconsider. Patch 2.4 on my Priest was the biggest breath of fresh air I've had in this game. Challenge healers the same way you challenge DPS, they aren't designed or balanced around going OOM and the same should hold true for us...providing we manage our regen cooldowns and chill now and then on using the most expensive spells.
#54 - March 2, 2010, 6:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
1st tier: All healers gem spirit
2nd tier: All healers get more spirit from their upgraded tier and collect hybrid gems
3rd tier: All healers have sufficient spirit from gear and are now gemming full throughput (i.e. haste/int/etc)
4th tier: Mana no longer matters, and we're back to square one.

You've got half of the puzzle there. Here's the other half:

Imagine you have 3 heals: normal, big and fast. The big heal is expensive and the fast heal isn't very efficient.

In your 1st tier, healers use their normal heal. The others are reserved for emergencies. In subsequent tiers, their regen is such that they can afford to branch out more into the expensive big heal and the inefficient fast heal. But while that is happening, the encounters are stepping up too. You'll need the fast heal sometimes because the damage is coming in too fast. You'll need the big heal more because sometimes you have to get someone back from the brink in a single GCD. Fortunately, as you approach the final tier, your mana regen is such that you can handle not casting your base heal as often.

The problem currently is that efficiency is a pretty low concern given that if you don't land a heal right this second, someone may die, and your chance of running out of mana is pretty low in the first place. There is every reason to just use the inefficient flash heal. Likewise, health is too low (relative to damage) so the big heal is just overhealing. And someone can probably flash your target up before you finish that long cast.
#234 - March 8, 2010, 5:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Exactly. People are acting like this is going to be a challenge. People are thinking this is the answer to end all.

They're wrong.

If anything, it's going to force people to spam that one button. And it's going to force people to gem for regen.

If you use your efficient heal 100% of the time, then sometimes people will die for want of a quick or big heal. If you use your quick or big heal 100% of the time, then sometimes you will run out of mana. If you use the right heal for the job, you will be awesome and get fat purps.
#239 - March 8, 2010, 6:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
That was so amazing to be forced to learn how to use Greater Heal rank 4 with the T5 2P bonus, I will never forget that. Is there really any chance to see downranking back?

We want the choice that downranking provided (don't use a big heal when a small one will do) without all the problems of gaming the coefficients of the lower level spells.
#240 - March 8, 2010, 6:18 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I predict that what players will do in practice is use their quick/big heals 100% of the time, gear for throughput, and figure out other ways to get mana.

Other ways = campaign for regen on the forums? :)

I kid. Prior to LK, healers wouldn't use their quick / big heal every GCD. They would even stop heals to avoid wasting mana. We're not really trying to bring back cancel macros in a big way, but we would like for the best healers to be the ones who know when to use the right spell at the right time.