Done.

#0 - Jan. 26, 2010, 5:18 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Looks like I am finally one of the millions who post about themselves leaving on the forums and get flamed up and down as the post slowly dies into the pile of wasted memory that is the WoW Forums. I only hope I can provide some sort of "reality check" if you will to people either teetering on the edge of leaving themselves or people who still seem to be blinded by this watered down game that no longer deserves to carry the name "World Of Warcraft". The following list contains most of the main reasons I have chosen to depart from the game. Each reason will be followed by a summary and/or analysis of that particular reason.

1. You can't PvP without PvP Gear.
This problem didn't become quite as noticeable until late patch 3.2 or so but never the less it is a huge issue that Blizzard will fail to do anything about. For all of those out there who bring up the argument of PvP gear being attainable through Raid/Dungeon emblems, there are several downfalls to this method of attaining PvP gear. One main drawback is the fact that I am currently using my Frost Emblems to get the top PvE gear simply because that's what I focus on. My point is, people who are serious Raiders can't casually PvP with any luck because the only PvP gear they can attain is the gear either 1 or 2 steps down from the best. This normally cuts their spellpower/attack power in half. To put it in perspective, someone with 60% damage reduction (Just throwing out numbers.) and half their normal spell power is expected to kill someone with the same amount of damage reduction AND with half the power needed. This complex makes absolutely no sense and therefore turns many PvE'ers away from the "exciting" world of PvP.

2. The old "It's Getting Too Easy" complaint.
The fact is, it honestly IS getting TOO easy. Blizzard tries to give logic to the idea of giving fresh 80's easy access to competitive gear by saying it gives everyone a chance to experience end-game content. This defies the entire point of the game in the first place. The point is to work your way to the top and fight to be the best, hence the game having "WAR..." in the title. The word "War" usually entails some sort of fighting if I'm not mistaken. I hardly consider running 5 Heroic Instances in a day to be "fighting" your way to the top. The biggest problem isn't with players not enjoying having it easy but more or less the large amount of inexperienced players that the preceding form of attaining gear brings forth.

3. The PvP Balance Problems.
Again, this is probably a tired topic but it has yet to be fixed and I've come to terms with the fact that Blizzard will never fix the issue. The only thing that forced me to come to terms with this is the following fact that was brought up to me by a friend of mine who too plays WoW. He said something along the lines of..."Blizzard will never balance the PvP end of the game simply because if such things did occur, the people who suck would in turn, know they suck and end up leaving the game, causing profit loss for greedy Blizz execs.". That statement pretty much sums up what the company that brought us our "beloved" game has become.

In conclusion, this game has failed to provide me with the enjoyment that 15 dollars a month and and 50 dollars every year (For new expansions.) should provide an individual. I believe that a lot of the reason that so many people still play this game is not just because name and general popularity bandwagon but also because many of us folks know what this game could be and once was. Blizz, please do not try and promote Cataclysm to be anything more than it already seems to be...a joke. If it's one thing Blizzard is good at, its promoting things and we've seen it in the recent months with all the new flashy/exciting things they plan to unveil! Pft...I'll pass.

#19 - Jan. 26, 2010, 9:29 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Looks like I am finally one of the millions who post about themselves leaving on the forums and get flamed up and down as the post slowly dies into the pile of wasted memory that is the WoW Forums. I only hope I can provide some sort of "reality check" if you will to people either teetering on the edge of leaving themselves or people who still seem to be blinded by this watered down game that no longer deserves to carry the name "World Of Warcraft". The following list contains most of the main reasons I have chosen to depart from the game. Each reason will be followed by a summary and/or analysis of that particular reason.

It is unfortunate that you feel this way. I will respond to your points and it is my hope that you may come to re-assess some of your points as a result.

Q u o t e:
1. You can't PvP without PvP Gear.

This problem didn't become quite as noticeable until late patch 3.2 or so but never the less it is a huge issue that Blizzard will fail to do anything about. For all of those out there who bring up the argument of PvP gear being attainable through Raid/Dungeon emblems, there are several downfalls to this method of attaining PvP gear. One main drawback is the fact that I am currently using my Frost Emblems to get the top PvE gear simply because that's what I focus on.

Hmm, so because you make the choice to purchase PvE gear, it is Blizzard's fault that you don't have a PvP set? I think this argument rings hollow and is somewhat in contrast with several points in the rest of your post. In particular, you seem to be asking us to make attaining gear from one aspect of the game "easier", while at the same time complaining in other portions of the post about how "easy" it is for unskilled players to obtain gear. I would argue that there is a progression in either aspect of the game. In player-versus-environment play, one must attain badges from either raiding or heroics in order to attain items. While in the player-versus-player game, you attain items through either arena competition or attaining honor through battlegrounds and Wintergrasp. As a PvE player myself, I still enjoy jumping into the odd Wintergrasp or battleground and I've managed to attain much of each previous seasons' resilience gear simply through that. Add to that, the ability to purchase this equipment through PvE means and you have a very forgiving curve for PvP Itemization. Thus, it seems to me that your complaint regarding your choice to spend Frost Emblems elsewhere is somewhat misplaced.

Q u o t e:
My point is, people who are serious Raiders can't casually PvP with any luck because the only PvP gear they can attain is the gear either 1 or 2 steps down from the best. This normally cuts their spellpower/attack power in half.
The reduction of offensive ability is the case with anyone who uses resilience gear. That being the case, you are not at a drastically reduced level when facing off against opponents in similar gear to your own in either spectrum. The point isn't to be able to instantly kill a fellow player, with a quick highly powered burst, but to be able to square off against an able opponent to be able test your skills and strategies.
Q u o t e:
To put it in perspective, someone with 60% damage reduction (Just throwing out numbers.) and half their normal spell power is expected to kill someone with the same amount of damage reduction AND with half the power needed. This complex makes absolutely no sense and therefore turns many PvE'ers away from the "exciting" world of PvP.

Resilience gives players additional survivability; it does this at the cost of additional damage focus. I hope that helps to clarify any misconceptions you have about this type of gear.

Q u o t e:
2. The old "It's Getting Too Easy" complaint.

The fact is

Actually, this is an opinion. Many players have discovered that there are incredibly challenging encounters still to be had throughout the many dungeons in the World of Warcraft. These encounters are often called "Hard Modes". More recently, they include challenges in Ice Crown Citadel (like many of the encounters in the Plagueworks), multiple encounters in Ulduar, including Algalon and Yogg-saron (without the assistance of any of the keepers) or the ten-person version of Sartharion (with 3 drakes active). All of these are or were difficult and remain challenging obstacles to overcome. Just because we've moved the bar to let people into the raiding content does not mean that there is no challenge to be found for those that seek difficulty in their gameplay.

Q u o t e:
, it honestly IS getting TOO easy. Blizzard tries to give logic to the idea of giving fresh 80's easy access to competitive gear by saying it gives everyone a chance to experience end-game content. This defies the entire point of the game in the first place. The point is to work your way to the top and fight to be the best, hence the game having "WAR..." in the title.

That is not the point of having War in the title. Warcraft is an ongoing series that depicts the interaction between rival factions which result in "War". While there are ways to differentiate yourself from the other members of the World of Warcraft playerbase, having the word "War" in the title doesn't indicate that the whole game experience is about being able to show yourself as a superior individual. Often enough, the game is about being able to work with those that surround you; this helps you to accomplish your goals in-game. You work with teammates and guildies, not against them.

Q u o t e:
The word "War" usually entails some sort of fighting if I'm not mistaken. I hardly consider running 5 Heroic Instances in a day to be "fighting" your way to the top. The biggest problem isn't with players not enjoying having it easy but more or less the large amount of inexperienced players that the preceding form of attaining gear brings forth.

So when all is said and done, your problem is with players being able to obtain items which help them progress in the game? In some ways, as an old school player, I understand this. I remember when the gap in gear was something that seemed nearly insurmountable. I remember when a warrior on my realm, festooned in epic items, strolled through Ironforge and stood on the bridge to show everyone the glory of his accomplishments through itemization. While I respected that individual for his awesome armor and sweet weapons, it simply didn't need to be that way. As each wave of content came out, many players fell further and further behind. By the time classic Naxxramas was live, the difference in attainable gear for the majority of the players was a chasm. Those who didn't have the top of the line raiding gear were simply fodder against those who were able to gather 39 people and plumb the depths of dark dungeons. This was far from an ideal situation. The vast majority of players spoke up on a daily basis about the "gear gap" and it's effect on their play experience.

Finally, after long discussion, the Badge system was born. It allowed players who were not as interested in that form of endgame content to have similar rewards without having to delve into an aspect of the game that they were barred from by various reasons. This was a step in the correct direction.

Q u o t e:

3. The PvP Balance Problems.

Again, this is probably a tired topic but it has yet to be fixed and I've come to terms with the fact that Blizzard will never fix the issue. The only thing that forced me to come to terms with this is the following fact that was brought up to me by a friend of mine who too plays WoW. He said something along the lines of..."Blizzard will never balance the PvP end of the game simply because if such things did occur, the people who suck would in turn, know they suck and end up leaving the game, causing profit loss for greedy Blizz execs.". That statement pretty much sums up what the company that brought us our "beloved" game has become.

If this were the case, we would not make adjustments to the classes on a regular basis. The fact is, we do. We are constantly striving to balance the game and make certain that all is fair when players square off against one another. However, that does not mean that we intend to make every class have the same footing against every other class. Some classes, by virtue of itemization or skill set, are simply better suited to facing specific types of other classes. You've probably heard us say this before, but it bears repeating. We balance this game around group combat not solo interaction. This isn't World of Duelcraft, it's World of Warcraft, and in a war, you fight with fellows at your side. This will become more apparent in upcoming content with the addition of rated battlegrounds and other features.

Q u o t e:

In conclusion, this game has failed to provide me with the enjoyment that 15 dollars a month and and 50 dollars every year (For new expansions.) should provide an individual. I believe that a lot of the reason that so many people still play this game is not just because name and general popularity bandwagon but also because many of us folks know what this game could be and once was. Blizz, please do not try and promote Cataclysm to be anything more than it already seems to be...a joke. If it's one thing Blizzard is good at, its promoting things and we've seen it in the recent months with all the new flashy/exciting things they plan to unveil! Pft...I'll pass.

Well, it's still a shame that even after venting all that steam, you still feel that way, but hopefully you'll reconsider in time. In any event, best of luck to you.