Rampage concerns

#0 - Aug. 30, 2006, 7:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The New talents for BC just released a few days ago, and the 41 pts talent for the fury tree for warriors was a skill called Rampage

"Each attack increases the warrior's attack power by 20 (lvl 3). Stacks 10 times. lasts 30 sec. 3 mins cooldown."

This was actually a good talent for us fury wars, hey, who doesnt want a free crusader proc?
But after studying the talent myself, i've discovered a few pts the devs have not considered when releasing this skill.

It is a fact that not all fury warriors are Dual Wielding out there, some of those are actually using 2-handed weapon to Fury instead, because these warriors can get an advantage in skills like whirlwind, Slam, Heroic Strike etc.

So first, the devs did not consider about the possibility of 2-handers using the rampage ability.

Let's say 2Handed Weapon has about an average of 3.3 attack speed (Yes, the normalized attack speed, which the devs have calculated themselves)

For 10 swings,
3.3 sec X 10 = 33 sec

So hey, 2Handers actually (most of the time) wouldn't be able to gain the full Attack Power bonus for this ability.
This would call off 2Handed fury warriors from spending pts on this ability.

For my second concern, the Attack damage bonus is really a bad consideration for every fury warrior.

Let's first consider BloodThirst,

Let's Say a lvl 70 Warrior has 1000AP with Battle Shout ( Which is very low )

The Bonus Attack Dmg = 200/1000 = 0.2 = 20%

Good.

Now, if we get realistic, a lvl 70 warrior should at least have 1300 - 1600 with Battleshout

The new Bonus = 200/1300 - 200/1600 = 15.38% - 12.5%

For White Attacks, Consider a lvl 70 with a 50dps weapon with 1000 atp (with BShout)

Bonus = (200/14) / ((1000/14) + 50) = 11.76%

And the Bonus diminishes with a Weapon of a higher Dps or an increased Attackpower Base

We'll leave the calculation behind for a moment, lets look at the 21 Talent Skill Death Wish:

"20% increased attack dmg. immune to fear. 20% decrease in armor and Resistance. 30 sec. 3 min cooldown."

Neat for both 2Handers and Dual Wielders. 20% decrease to armor isnt a big deal as i really doubt tanks would pop this in the middle of a boss fight.

So its 20% resistance to trade off for 20% increased dmg and Immunity to Fear.

But wait, read the calculations above,

So you're saying that the BT bonus effect of this 41 talent skill could only be as good as a 21 talent skill provided that the lvl 70 warrior has only 1000 AP with BS??

Furthermore, the White dmg bonus for Rampage is nearly 10% lower than Death Wish. And They have the SAME COOLDOWN (and rampage costs more rage O.o ). This is actually quite surprising.

In Conclusion Deathwish >>>> Rampage.

What's good of a 41 talent skill when it is even worse than a lvl 21 talent Skill??
My guess was that the Devs intentionly did this to discourage Fury warriors from learning this skill, so to get 5/5 Sword or Axe Spec from the Arms Tree instead.

Im never active on the forums, but seeing such a gimp in the 41 Talent Skill, I have no choice but to give my feedback on it. I hope the devs may take this idea into consideration.
#1 - Aug. 30, 2006, 7:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Thanks for the breakdown. I will be sure to bring this up with the devs.