The old Blue response and the new

#0 - April 14, 2007, 7:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Ages ago I posted a series of questions on the shaman forum and got a response from Tseric.
I light of the new patch I would like to pose them again they were...

1) What role does blizzard see the shaman in in burning crusade (now I suppose just the game in general) from both PVE and PVP perspectives?

2) Are there any plans for the replacement/improvement of the 41 point elemental talent?

3) Are there any plans for the replacement/ improvement of the elemental totems?

4) Are there any plans for giving us some more active abilities as opposed to the mostly passive repertoire
we seem to be receiving?

5) In general, what's in the works for the shaman???

and Tseric responded to them:

1. Never a cut and dry response for roles, classes and particularly hybrids, but I'll just say 'melee/dps', which would probably not come as a surprise to many. Shaman have always had something more of a leaning towards PvP than PvE, which should also not come as a surprise.

2. Nothing I know of in the way of 'total revamp wow new improved' stuff. Perhaps some tuning of things, but for the most part this will be the base from which further adjustments or additions could be made, post-BC release.

3. Don't know at this time. I can inquire further.

4. Think this is kind of a restating of the number 2 question. reply number 2 still applies.

5. Well, at the start, it appeared that players saw Elemental as the strongest spec. Improvements to Resto and Enhancement have brought more attention and favor to those trees. Elemental saw comparitavely less buffing, but doesn't that sound like something approaching balance between the trees?

I would be very much obliged by some new answers to these questions.
thank you in advance.
#19 - April 14, 2007, 9:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
1) What role does blizzard see the shaman in in burning crusade (now I suppose just the game in general) from both PVE and PVP perspectives?

Don't think the answer has really changed. Save to say that I would rephrase 'melee/dps' as 'healing/dps', which encompasses a little more of the Shaman. As it stands, enhancement doesn't do so hot in PvP, but can crank out solid damage in PvE. Elemental and Restoration may be able to transit between PvP and PvE with more ease than an Enhance Shaman. Again, roles are always general. If you can buff your party, do it. If you can melee dps a boss, do it. Worry about jobs and not general notions of roles.
Q u o t e:
2) Are there any plans for the replacement/improvement of the 41 point elemental talent?

Replacement? Not a preferable option over improvement. At the moment, I know of no specific plans to alter 41-point talents.
Q u o t e:
3) Are there any plans for the replacement/ improvement of the elemental totems?

Not that I know of.
Q u o t e:
4) Are there any plans for giving us some more active abilities as opposed to the mostly passive repertoire
we seem to be receiving?

It's not out of the question, but in all likelyhood I don't think you're going to be seeing new abilities. It is possible that a talent or an ability could be changed to the point it might as well be a different spell, but at this point, I think attention will be given to the refinement of what exists, rather than throwing new things into the mix.
Q u o t e:
5) In general, what's in the works for the shaman???

As of late, the devs have been active on their Shaman more, to gain additional insight into the state of the class. So, I can say that they are looking into the class specifically, but as to specific adjustments they are considering, I can not say.
#30 - April 14, 2007, 10:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Can we get this moved into the shaman forums or copied?

Sure.