Latest Beta Patch: Imp. BS swaps w/ Imp. SnD!

#0 - Dec. 1, 2006, 12:01 a.m.
Blizzard Post
They have officially switched places in the talent trees. Thank god!
#58 - Dec. 1, 2006, 1 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
i call bull@!%% until i see blue confirm

Confirm!
#80 - Dec. 1, 2006, 1:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Kalgan, why are all the nice changes for PvP? Combat is still a bit lackluster and this change does nothing for us...

Combat will be getting an upgrade to Weapon Expertise and another slight improvement to Surprise Attacks (10% damage bonus instead of 8%).
#89 - Dec. 1, 2006, 1:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Other changes:

Cloak of Shadows - 60 second cooldown (unconfirmed by myself).

Blind - 3m cooldown (confirmed)

Surprise Attacks - "Your finishing moves can no longer be dodged, and your Sinister Strike, Shiv, Backstab and Gouge abilities are increased by 8%" (confirmed).

Confirmed (but also check preparation).
#185 - Dec. 1, 2006, 2:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Prep's slight nerf buffed every rogue immensely, including those with prep.

That was definitely the point. =]
#199 - Dec. 1, 2006, 2:42 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Kalgan your a smart guy, but for a final talent, even with your listed change, Surprise attacks is lack luster. Its change to overall dps is 'meh'. The supplemental change to finishers...

This is combat, not the finisher tree (see Assassination which has a talent that makes misses, dodges and parried finishers cost you next to no energy!. Surprise attacks (2 tiers up from the assasination counter point) only effects dodge!).

Surprise Attacks is boring worst off. Unlike other PINACLE talents in other trees which enhance and change gameplay, surprise attacks does nothing. A rogue with or without it will do the same things, and have the same options open to them.

Druids have a new form to enhance healing, giving them an option. Shadow priests get a new attack. Warriors get a new tanking ability. Even the other 2 rogue trees give NEW abilities.

Why is combat then an uninspired passive? Why was it changed from backstab cant be dodged (which under a 2 roll system for specials was a buff!).

Glancers still hurt raid dps significantly, weapon skill on a whole still stinks.

Unfortunately, the reality is that not all "end" talents will be new active (clicky) abilities, there is a limit to how many new buttons we're willing to introduce at a time.

Yes, if you're thinking only in terms of refreshing SnD in a raid, the no-dodge on finishers effect for SA doesn't seem particularly interesting. However, I do believe it's one of those effects that will be underappreciated at the start, but demonstrate worth over time.

While you're definitely entitled to wish SA were stronger/better, there really isn't a set value for how much a 41 point talent is worth. To us, a 41 point talent simply needs to be as strong as it needs to be in order to create a compelling choice for a meaningful percentage of players. Now, I make no absolute claim that SA is "there" yet, but objectively it certainly adds a good chunk of dps for 1 talent point.

As far as weapon skill stinking, does that mean talents that add crit, hit, etc all stink too? No, it doesn't do as much as it used to (sorry, but the old version was flat-out imba), but we have reduced the base effect of glancing blows vs mobs 3 levels of defense higher than your skill.

In addition, all of the new encounters have been tuned around the net result of all these changes, so while it's valid to say it'll have an impact on rogue raid balance in today's encounters, I don't think that'll matter for much longer.