Who was complaining about Silent Resolve?

#0 - Feb. 25, 2007, 11:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As of the upcoming patch, Silent Resolve (20% thread reduction) will no longer affect shadow spells. I, as a shadow priest, will generate much more threat than I do currently.

A shadow priest does DPS... along with group healing and mana regen - this already generates a tremendous amount of threat.

However, this threat is PVE only. This talent does not affect PvP in any way.

My question is - this is a huge nerf to shadow priest viability in 5-man groups and raids, as I will effectively have to lower my DPS by 20% to compensate. I will have to spend 20% more time out of a fight just standing there doing nothing before I can start DPSing.

Now, I don't agree that the ProM nerf was necessary or called for, but I understand why it happened - because non-priests were complaining that it was OP. I just can't understand, however, who could have possibly been complaning about shadow priests not generating enough threat. Who are these people? Where are they posting these complaints? Can anyone find an example of any WoW subscriber ever complaining that they think that shadow priest threat reduction is OP and needing a nerf?

And, if none of the subscribers - the paying customers - were asking for this to be looked at, why was it nerfed so severely?
#21 - Feb. 25, 2007, 11:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
My question is - this is a huge nerf to shadow priest viability in 5-man groups and raids, as I will effectively have to lower my DPS by 20% to compensate. I will have to spend 20% more time out of a fight just standing there doing nothing before I can start DPSing.

That's really the intent with the change. The large amount of damage being output was being done so with less worry of threat generation. The class design and balance intent wasn't to have a shadow priest near the top of DPS, healing, and regening mana all with less effort put into threat management than any other class. It just wasn't working as intended.

Now as far as the numbers go we'll of course be continuing to evaluate them and if we see any need to alter them because they're impacting it too much or too little we'll do so.

Q u o t e:
Now, I don't agree that the ProM nerf was necessary or called for, but I understand why it happened - because non-priests were complaining that it was OP. I just can't understand, however, who could have possibly been complaning about shadow priests not generating enough threat. Who are these people? Where are they posting these complaints? Can anyone find an example of any WoW subscriber ever complaining that they think that shadow priest threat reduction is OP and needing a nerf?

And, if none of the subscribers - the paying customers - were asking for this to be looked at, why was it nerfed so severely?

It doesn't require someone to complain about something for us to make a change. Some of the most important changes are for things no one talks about.
#29 - Feb. 25, 2007, 11:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
We spent a lot of talent points to do that. 5 in silent resolve, and 3 in shadow affinity. Doing nothing but reducing threat.

Thanks, thanks for making it so we were able to raid for a couple of weeks.

You'll still be able to. I would recommend checking out the PTRs, maybe with a few guild members and go over the changes, see how they'll actually effect you in a game environment.