Change Priest Fade spell, and save WoW.

#0 - Feb. 26, 2007, 7:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
After the Prayer of Mending nerf, there is a need now to save the priest class from extinction.

Many people have proposed that Fade should cause pvp enemies to drop target, if they are targetting the priest who has faded. Blizzard has responded that this would be unbalanced, primarily because it is unnatural and upsetting to players, if targetting was not in control of the player.

I propose that Fade have a different effect. Make it so that Fade causes magic and physical attacks made against the priest to miss 50% of the time, while under the effects of Fade.

The PvE benefits of this is that, in situations where Fade does not cause the pve enemies to target another player, it will give the Priest a chance to stand alive, for the duration of Fade. If Fade fails to prevent a PvE enemy from attacking the Priest, the 50% chance to miss, would give the priest enough time to heal him/herself, without it being overpowered.

In PvP, if a Priest is focused fired upon, Fade would give the Priest some time to respond, either by healing himself, or allowing him to run to the safety of others. If a priest is being attacked by 3 other players, Fade would not save them. All it would do is keep them alive long enough to run to other friendly players, or allow them enough time to try and heal, while back-up arrives.

Sounds great right? Fade doesn't last that long (10 seconds), has a long cooldown (30 seconds), and priests are available to both factions. Plus, if a Priest has faded, surely, the Priest would be harder to hit, right?

Shadow priests? Well, that's where trouble begins. Fade is usable in Shadow Form, and even if it wasn't, it would cause a new breed of Shadow Priests who choose to melt face, while not in Shadow Form, for the benefits that Fade would bring.

Solution: Give Fade a negative affect while active, in addition, to the 50% chance for attacks made against the Priest to miss. The negative affect should be that the Priest can only cast healing spells, while Fade is active, or better yet, damaging spells cast by the Priest have a 50% chance to miss the target, while Fade is active. That way, a Priest can use Fade in pvp and pve, to better survive (but not totally avoid) a focus fire, while not being overpowered since the use of Fade causes the Priests damaging spells to also miss 50% of the time, while Fade is active.

The changes to Fade, as described don't need to benefit Shadow Priests, since they can survive. It's the Holy priests that are complaining about survivability, and here is a way to give Holy priests that survivability, without Shadow Priests benefiting from it also.

What are your thoughts?
#4 - Feb. 26, 2007, 8:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'll forward these thoughts off. I know that many people have said they would like fade to work similiarly to a Hunter's Feign Death in PvP but there are issues that have come up before both on maintaining some uniqueness between the abilities and also how Fade could really work in a PvP situation and work well without causing more balance issues.

#41 - Feb. 26, 2007, 8:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Fixing PvP survivability might be a better place to start.

This and many other issues of feedback have been put together and sent out by both Drysc and I. Unfortunately we won't be getting anything back until at least tomorrow.

We've asked for more information on why these latests changes were implemented and hopefully can get you more detail.

We've brought up the survivability issues again and let the developers know that it is still a large issue with the priest community.

We're also hoping to get back some more information on what improvements are being considered beyond the fact that Circle of Healing is being looked at and would like to attempt to get more specifics however, specifics may be hard to come by for a bit as the team works on it themselves especially in light of recent player feedback and the changes that are being implemented.

I use the word 'hope' and 'hoping' because this is what we would like to be able to get and bring back but that doesn't necessarily mean we will get it or we will get it as soon as people may want but we are in fact working on it.
#47 - Feb. 26, 2007, 8:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Neth,

I believe the biggest problem with Fade is that it does not scale with the massive amount of +healing that most priests carry around.

At best, Fade will negate the threat for *one* heal. In the past, Fade would get mobs off of the priest 90% of the time, even after extensive healing. Now, it's a gamble.

Fade needs to be readjusted or completely overhauled. Right now it seems like it is designed for level 70 priests with a base of zero +healing gear, which simply isn't the case.

A PVP use for Fade would be nice as well. Priests need a spell to escape the focus-fire and stuns, and Psychic Scream is not cutting it.

I've had that same experience myself where I've used a fade, tossed a heal and had aggro right back so understand where you are coming from with this. It makes healing and timing a bit tricky when you are waiting for that last moment to cast one in the hope your fade is available again. I'll make sure to add that perspective into the feedback.
#64 - Feb. 26, 2007, 8:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

With no hate in my heart, no dripping sarcasm... can I ask this question:

What's different now about all the times in the past when we've been told by the CMs that things were being "looked at" and that answers were coming? Has something changed?

Believe it or not, we remain persistent in sending information and feedback to the rest of the development team on a daily basis. Nothing is different, however I'd like to think in light of the upcoming changes, getting answers out to the community would be seen as something we as a team on all levels see as important. We are encouraged to send as much feedback as possible onto the team and by the time we are done, they are usually swamped with it in their inboxes and most likely wonder when we're next going to be popping our heads into their offices.

I realize people think we have failed them on some level and there is nothing I can do to change that perception no matter what. The most I can do is apologize if it seems that that is so. We are doing what we can on many fronts to get information, and more importantly relay feedback which is still a primary task for us.
#69 - Feb. 26, 2007, 8:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
If Fade isn't be changed, can we at least have it not cost 300 mana for a temporary decrease in threat? Jesus christ.

Also, please fix Rank 3 Fort and Prayer of Fort. 30 yards is completely annoying.

Also, thanks again for nerfing the most selfless class in the game!!!

The Rank 3 fort is suppossed to be 40 yards like the rest of the spells so is scheduled to be corrected.