What exactly IS Global cooldown?

#0 - Oct. 26, 2006, 1:18 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Hey folks,

Recently I've seen an influx in talk about global cooldown, and yet most of the talk I've seen has been rather vague, I was hoping someone could explain to me what exactly this will mean for mages, Does this mean that all of our spells have a cool down, for 1.5 seconds as I've heard once we cast something. Because if that is the case, then I really doubt I can play my mage. As a mage, even as a full frost mage, I need sufficent burst damage before my opponent gets to me, If global cooldown affects all spells, then fights for me will end extremely quickly(with me dying), in both pve and pvp situations. If this is or is not the case i was hoping someone could explain to me what the heck is going on here.
thanks alot.
#2 - Oct. 26, 2006, 1:33 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Some spells can be linked to the global cooldown.

When one of these spells is used and the global cooldown is triggered, it puts a timer of inoperation on all spells linked to the global cooldown. The global cooldown is 1.5 seconds.

This means that any spells linked to the GDC can not be used until 1.5 seconds after the initial spell was cast.

I think I can make a diagram...

[1st spell] [----1.5 seconds----] [second spell] [----1.5 seconds----] [third spell]

...and so forth.

Global cooldown basically creates spaces between the casting of spells.

I leave it to the community to elaborate on the implications of such a thing.