Hypothermia pah!

#0 - Oct. 18, 2007, 10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Before i begin just know im very bored and heading to bed after i write this.

Concerning Hypthermia lasting 30 secs, or whats more that it even exists, i'm a little disappointed in Blizzard due to the fact they're slowly butchering this originally PvE based game into a PvE-PvP one. I've got no issue with PvP, i love it, as my pvp record will show (including my varius twinks) so im a big fan of it... however when you start nerfing talents specifically because of their use in one variation of the game (PvP) i think that's going just a little too far.

I will admit that for PvE, Hypthermia isnt as big a hit as it is in PvP, and i'm in no way saying that 'zomg i sucks without double iceblocking'... for one i'm Arcane raid specced so please save your 'lrn2play' comments. What i'm pointing out is that, undeniabley, there are occasions where a double block is necessary to survive an encounter because despite how greatly you played, that's just how the cards fell in that situation. Getting back on track, the only means we have to get 2 uses out of iceblock within its normal cooldown, is Coldsnap, which only resets Frost spells (Frost Nova, Cone of Cold, Frost Ward, Ice Barrier, Ice Block) and a talent "Ice Floes" that reduces Coldsnap cooldown (among others) by 2mins. Given the obvious advnatages these other spells provide, much like a rogue's Preparation and their cooldowns, why specifically is Iceblock singled out? Why indeed does Vanish not have a 30 second debuff preventing its immediate reuse, or Evasion for that matter.

One could argue that these abilites dont provide near the effect of Iceblock, but that's not exactly true now is it. Evasion = untouchable rogue for 15 seconds, Vanish = where'd he go? Rogue pops cloak of skill and vanishes = hrm, dead caster (possibley). Mage pops Iceblock, removes all debuffs but cant do a single effing thing and is still there for all to see/kill afterwards. These abilities are equal, so i ask again, why does Vanish, Evasion, Sprint, Blind or any other ability that gets a timer reset from a talent, not subject to the same constraints as a Mage's Iceblock, which mind you is a 21 point talent versus all the others that Rogues get simply for leveling... And then i see they're going to up Hypothermia's duration from 30 to 45secs, granted i knew this weeks ago but im commenting now, but honestly Blizzard... what the hell is wrong with you?

Lrn2program

That is all.
#4 - Oct. 19, 2007, 1:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We were finding that the current duration of hypothermia was simply not long enough. Mages were easily able to buy the time they needed to iceblock a second time when fighting the same opponents. This is basically what we were looking to prevent. I understand that this isn't the answer you're looking for, but these are the facts.
#18 - Oct. 19, 2007, 1:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
so does that mean you are going to keep increasing hypothermia duration until we can be killed after the first iceblock and not get the second one off on a consistent basis?

this seems to be the logic you are using with the 15 addition seconds being added in 2.3.

Is this the last time it will be increased?

Keeping feedback constructive is to your own advantage. I promise you.
#101 - Oct. 19, 2007, 2:18 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Then can you explain to us why Coldsnap is still in the talent tree?

Right, because coldsnap affects no other spells? And being able to cast iceblock again after 45 seconds rather than 5 minutes later would NEVER be necessary. I'm reading feedback, and I'm going to provide it to the design team, on all aspects of your class. These types of comments don't help your cause.
#104 - Oct. 19, 2007, 2:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Fair enough... but what is the point of Cold Snap which says it ends the cooldown of all your frost spells when it doesn't actually do this?

It does end the cooldown for your frost spells, but you simply can't cast iceblock if you have the hypothermia debuff, which will last 45 seconds as of patch 2.3.
#110 - Oct. 19, 2007, 2:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

what hes saying is that hypothermia contradicts coldsnap.

if the cooldown is removed, their should be no reason why we cannot use it.

and he is correct.