Updates on learning pet skills w/o taming pet

#0 - Jan. 30, 2007, 5:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
A while back a blue mentioned that because it was impossible for Blizz to add more stable slots for hunters, they were considering allowing hunters to learn new pet skills from wild animals without actually taming and keeping the pet; just doing something where we could learn the skill and teach it to our other 3 main, specialized pets.

any word on whether this may happen or not? I have 3 pets that I spent a lot of time customizing for different fights and I don't want to give up any of them to learn to new skills, even tho those new skills would improve my pets a great deal.
#31 - Jan. 31, 2007, 4:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm glad you asked. :) I actually had this as one of the things I wanted to get you all an update on. We still intend to add more pet abilities and will most likely start with the next large patch we do. I can't give you a specific patch number or date, but it will be the start of the additions that we have been planning to do. We will be adding more gradually over time after that as well.
#60 - Jan. 31, 2007, 5:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Man, I have noticed reading comprehension being rather slack on the WoW forums, but now it's even rolling over to the CMs.

While the addition of new pet abilities is great to hear, even if it is just a restatement of what we've already heard; the point of this thread was not about whether or not new abilities were going to be added.

The question asked by the OP was if there was any progress on making Hunters able to learn new pet abilities or new ranks of old pet abilities whithout having to sacrifice one of their three pets that they have trained for specific purposes (I.E. PvE, PvP, Solo).

Basically, as Tseric has mentioned, Hunters are basically limited to only having two full time pets in order to keep one slot open for "disposable pets" to learn new skills. So while it is factual to say that Hunters can have up to three pets, in practice they can really only have two. Any Blue reply to the actual question posted by the OP would be greatly appreciated.

When I'm saying adding abilities, I don't mean adding abilities to individual pet types but abilities that are trainable and transferable between pets. I am going to double check that this is correct for you all, but my reading comprehension is fine and I did answer the question. We are not adding more stable slots.

I will do a double-check for clarity's sake however to make sure that this is the intention of what is being planned for you all so don't take this as final word as of yet. I'll let you know when I have it clarified.
#71 - Jan. 31, 2007, 5:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Still doesn't really answer the question. OP wasn't asking for stable slots but for the ability that was hinted to during our review for us to be able to learn pet skill from wild animals without having to have an empty stable slot to do it. Frankly at this point I don't care about what abilities are being added as its been well over a year since we've been promised abilities for all pets and have only received a handful. Any information you give us as to new additions for pet abilities or training I will consider post dated information for the year 2009. Thanks for the info so far in advance.

I put in a query to get a bit more information on anything I can about how the mechanics are changing since it's been awhile even since we last discussed it here. Thus, why I'm working to do some follow-up on it since updates are going to be added before too much longer. Just be patient. Saying "You didn't answer the question" doesn't make the answers come any faster folks. I'm trying to get you what I can.

As for any other feedback, I have one other item I can tell you all about and that is in regard to autoattack and autoshot. We'll be adding an ability to toggle this on and off in the interface options at some point in the near future as well.

Anything more I don't have for you at this time because all the feedback that was submitted is in the hands of the rest of the development team. If/when they have more to share with you all, we'll post about it.
#125 - Jan. 31, 2007, 9:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Just as a quick follow-up, I don't know when we'll have more details to share with you but when we do, we will post.

My understanding at this point is that it won't have to do with family abilities however that could change based on the information I've requested so don't get too married to that just yet. More when we can however.