Remove Flight Form, From a Druid.

#0 - Oct. 6, 2006, 12:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The current flight form speed of 60% makes it so slow that the moment a druid gets a flying mount they won't ever use flight form again. Why you ask? Because the ability can't help you to escape combat or be used for any other useful thing save jumping off cliffs once you're 70 and have a flying mount. Just take it out of the game if it's going to play that way! Don't taunt us with something that will be useless 2 months into the expansion after we have our real flying mounts...

Edit: Thx Tseric for educating us that the regular flying mounts will also be 60% movement speed. Since that is the case there is a place for Flight Form for normal travel purposes. I was posting under the asumption that like travel form flight form would be slower than a regular mount.

2nd Edit: I am still a bit concerned though that flight form cannot be used in combat 'cause once you get your ground epic, travel form is only good for running away or running flags and after you get your epic flying mount what use will there be for flight form other than jumping off cliffs if you can't use it to run away from attackers? One way or another thank you Tseric for all the helpful info in this thread!

Out of Combat Flight Form:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=30046041&pageNo=1&sid=1#17

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Edit: Druids are assuming that we get an epic version of flight form from a response that Tseric gave to another question:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q u o t e:

Players statement/question:

Thank you Tseric! That alleviates one of my fears, that it will only be useful for 2 levels. Are there any plans on offering a quest to upgrade flight form to epic speed?

If that isn't the case, then we'll want to buy an epic mount anyways. Since we'll have to purchase the regular mount riding skill to get the epic flying mount riding skill, we are effectively "forced" to buy a regular mount to travel at an "epic speed".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q u o t e:

Tseric's Response:

Druids will gain the flying mount riding skill with their form in the same way that warlocks and paladins gain riding skills with their summonable mounts. Druids will end up paying less for their epic flying mounts than anyone else.

If you take a close look at what he says there he is saying we won't have to pay for our first flight riding skill and so that will make it less expensive when we buy our epic flying mount. He is not saying our form will upgrade, he's saying we won't have to pay the 90g* for the first flight skill 75/150. (*assumed 90g similar to ground mount). Thus my 2nd edit concern still stands until new information is released. I think Blue might make flight form useful in the long run, as it stands now though it's not. At least we get a free mount and a cool idea for a form I guess... I have to say though that the form would be indisputably awesome if it retained its instant cast and could be used in combat like travel form! It would add a whole new angle to the Druid class!
#19 - Oct. 6, 2006, 12:37 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
The current flight form speed of 60% makes it so slow that the moment a druid gets a flying mount they won't ever use flight form again. Why you ask? Because the ability can't help you to escape combat or be used for any other useful thing save jumping off cliffs once you're 70 and have a flying mount. Just take it out of the game if it's going to play that way! Don't taunt us with something that will be useless 2 months into the expansion after we have our real flying mounts...

The current flight form speed is the same as general flying mount speeds. Why exactly would you buy a flying mount in this case?
#34 - Oct. 6, 2006, 12:42 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Tseric, I think you may need to clarify this a bit.
The assumption going around(based on some UI mod readings of map coordinates that may not be real accurate) has been that flying mounts will be 300%-500% of run speed.

Heh. Wow. 300%? Possibly for epic flying mounts. Possibly.

Epic land mount speed is 100% of running speed added on (to the running speed).

General flying mounts are 60% of running speed added on.

Epic flying mounts will be significantly faster than all of the above, but the exact speed has not been decided, yet.
#40 - Oct. 6, 2006, 12:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

My druid and my slow computer thank you. ;)

/salute
#77 - Oct. 6, 2006, 12:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Thank you Tseric! That alleviates one of my fears, that it will only be useful for 2 levels. Are there any plans on offering a quest to upgrade flight form to epic speed?

If that isn't the case, then we'll want to buy an epic mount anyways. Since we'll have to purchase the regular mount riding skill to get the epic flying mount riding skill, we are effectively "forced" to buy a regular mount to travel at an "epic speed".

Druids will gain the flying mount riding skill with their form in the same way that warlocks and paladins gain riding skills with their summonable mounts. Druids will end up paying less for their epic flying mounts than anyone else.
#81 - Oct. 6, 2006, 1:02 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I'd just be better of saving my 100000g purchase price and ride everywhere on my existing epic mount - it'll be faster - even if the road has a few corners.

And what if there are no roads to the destination?

Not to say that its a bad idea to be frugal and go by land where you can, just that you won't be able to get everywhere doing so.
#125 - Oct. 6, 2006, 1:31 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Has it been Stated by blue that you won't be able to get a genral flying mount until 70 or is that just a genral asumption?

I think it's been stated, but just in case...yeah, level 70.