Slouken: Thanks for fixing Mouselook problem

#0 - Oct. 14, 2006, 2:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
UPDATE!!!!

I have uploaded the new working version of Mouselook 2.0 to WowInterface.com

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info4774-MouseLook.html

Get it while it's hot!

=====================================================================

I don't know if my previous posts have been missed or deliberately ignored, so I'm going to ask again, just in case.

I am very concerned about the concept of being unable to change keybindings during combat. I use a Mouselook mod that lets me lock mouselook on and switches it off while I hold down a momentary toggle. While the mouselook function is turned on, the mod remaps my mouse buttons to move forward and move backward. This functionality replicates the mouse behavior found in other MMORPG's such as DAoC, and I have gotten used to playing this way over the last 5 years.

I believe that if rebinding is blocked during combat that I will be unable to have this kind of functionality, and thus will have to re-learn how to play the game I love. I would like to request that some new functionality be added to cover this issue - specifically, I'm asking for something like this:

MouselookSetBinding(button name , command to use when mouselook is on, command to use when mouselook off)

example:

MouselookSetBinding("BUTTON1","MOVEFORWARD","TURNORACTION")
MouselookSetBinding("Button2","MOVEBACKWARD","CAMERAORSELECTORMOVE")

All this would need to do is add functionality to MouselookStop() and MouselookStart() that would perform the following:

function MouselookStart()
if button1_remapaction ~= nil then
SetBinding("BUTTON1",button1_remapaction)
end
if button2_remapaction ~= nil then
SetBinding("BUTTON2",button2_remapaction)
end
end

etc etc.

I believe that this new functionality would help to support those players who perfer this type of mouselook functionality - which is available in other games - while still minimizing the ability to exploit this in the way that Blizzard is trying to avoid.

PLEASE, Slouken, let me know if something like this would be possible!!! If not, please let me know so that I can go ahead and cancel my account now. There is no point to continue raiding if I'm not going to want to play after the expansion comes out. I can handle loosing spell selection logic, I can handle loosing decursive, I can handle having to click more screen buttons. I do not want to deal with learning to play all over again.

Trimble
#8 - Oct. 17, 2006, 3:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
That's a pretty good proposal. I'll take a look at it for 2.0.1, thanks!

BTW, this is slightly exploitable. I'll see if I can think of any way around the problem.
#19 - Oct. 25, 2006, 5:03 a.m.
Blizzard Post
3 is also likely to be what happens, but will take some sit down time with the designers to review the mouselook design make sure the new idea works well with existing systems and make sense from a design and implementation standpoint. Honestly, this is involved enough that you probably won't see it for 2.0 release.
#22 - Nov. 8, 2006, 4:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I'm hoping there is still time to do something about this issue. Slouken, you have a few more months ;)

I do? Great! :)

Seriously, this is on the designers' long laundry list of things to go over. I'm not sure if it'll make the Burning Crusade release, but please keep bumping this so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks!
#29 - Nov. 24, 2006, 6:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I'll look into it next week, thanks!
#31 - Dec. 6, 2006, 4:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
This should be working now:

Q u o t e:

e.g. To set up mouselook while the 'z' key is held down, and have the left mouse
button move you forwards and the right mouse button move you backwards, you
could do:
/script CreateFrame("Button", "MouselookButton")
/script MouselookButton:RegisterForClicks("AnyUp", "AnyDown")
/script MouselookButton:SetScript("OnClick", function (self, button, down) if (
down ) then MouselookStart() else MouselookStop() end end)
/script SetOverrideBindingClick(MouselookButton, nil, "z", "MouselookButton")
/script SetMouselookOverrideBinding("BUTTON1", "MOVEFORWARD")
/script SetMouselookOverrideBinding("BUTTON2", "MOVEBACKWARD")
#34 - Dec. 6, 2006, 7:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
You're welcome! :)
You can thank Iriel too, who suggested the override key bindings which made this possible. :)