Suggestion for SendAddonMessage()

#0 - March 16, 2007, 6:13 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I've been working on primarily functional mods as opposed to UI frame mods for a while now. In terms of communication, I keep hitting brick walls for simple sollutions. The scope of SendAddonMessage() isn't wide enough for concepts people are coming up with for UI mods.

I would like to suggest that "WHISPER" be added to the list of targets for the function. I say this because of the new casual outlook on the game. More often than not, I find myself doing activities with people outside of my guild or I require communications with players when i'm not in a party or raid with them. The tools I create would need to accomodate for these situations.

Although I don't know if the mechanics of the whisper channel are different from guild, raid, BG etc but I don't see any reason why an underlying Addon Stream can't be added to the whisper channel.
#10 - March 16, 2007, 4:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Whisper communication was intentionally left out of the addon communication. While there are very good reasons to have it, poorly written addons can potentially end up with unbounded N^2 network traffic as each player tries to silently negotiate with each other player. The decision was made to limit it to groups; party, raid, and guild, to limit the scope of negotiation and limit it to somewhat trusted peers.

You are still able to join a custom channel for your addon (per zone, or per criteria) so all people who use the addon can communicate together.