Class equality

#0 - Jan. 28, 2010, 2:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
"Where we tend to take notice is if something is really far out of whack. If players are abandoning a class or flocking to a new one, then there might be something going on. If particular classes or specs seem to fall behind in raid representation over time, it's usually in our best interest to at least try and understand why." -Ghostcrawler

It is my understanding many people have abandoned their Death Knight tanks and have most likely flocked to the prot Paladin or maybe even a feral Druid tank. It is also my understanding that many Death Knight tanks are losing or already have lost their raid spot relegated to the third tank at best in 25 mans. I for one have not abandoned my Death Knight because I do not want to give up on it. I love tanking on him. I will stick with him no matter what. I consider myself lucky because I have a raid slot. But that's just me. There still is a large percentage of people abandoning their Death Knight tank. It begs the question, are the people in charge of making these changes even listening to us?

No one is asking for major Death Knight buffs. But everyone else has block, if not a block mechanic, and Death Knights do not. Block is being changed for Cataclysm and that's fine. Just do something small. Since the quote above coincides with what I speak of here, there should be no problem in slightly buffing say Blade Barrier. If not, maybe slightly change the mechanic of how Death Knights convert a percentage of strength into parry. No one likes to admit mistakes or have to keep fixing things because of problems they created. Bring Death Knights slightly closer to the Paladin and Druid for tanking. If not, then how is keeping the Paladin where it is fair in anyway to the people who choose to stick with their Death Knight.
#46 - Jan. 29, 2010, 1:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
It is my understanding many people have abandoned their Death Knight tanks and have most likely flocked to the prot Paladin or maybe even a feral Druid tank. It is also my understanding that many Death Knight tanks are losing or already have lost their raid spot relegated to the third tank at best in 25 mans.

Your understanding in this case does not appear to mesh with reality. There are still plenty of DK tanks in Icecrown.

The death knight was a new class with a lot of cool abilities, lore and a great starting experience. It doesn't surprise me at all that a lot of players flocked to them. When it turned out they were overpowered in dps, PvP and tanking early on in Lich King, that probably encouraged more players to pick them up or stick with them. So it's natural that after several patches the numbers have evened out a bit more, but there are still plenty of DKs and they seem to be doing just fine tanking Icecrown. We'll see if things look different when the hard modes unlock. If DKs (of appropriate gear and skill) struggle on those fights, we'll buff them.

We don't balance around representation. We do take notice when populations suddenly shift, but that hasn't happened in this case.