Scrap voice chat ... GIVE US 2.2 without it!!

#0 - Sept. 18, 2007, 2:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Please?

It looks like voice chat is the major hangup in getting 2.2 pushed out. Just scrap it already and move on. It's a nice idea and all that, but if you can't make it work, stop trying.
#60 - Sept. 18, 2007, 3:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post

2.2 does include a new revision of the basic sound engine that is not connected with voice chat. It also includes the new voice chat technology which is a separate effort, but it does rely on the new sound engine to function. Astute players can see that we have always used a third party licensed sound engine for the former, and we have upgraded to the most recent version of that library in 2.2.

The last few builds on PTR have helped us isolate and fix a few serious bugs that you really would not have wanted to see on Live. WIthout the player input on PTR (error reports online and forum reports) some of those bugs could well have been undetected.

If any of you have time this week to try out the PTR build, we can always use the feedback on how good it is doing. 7272 is the latest version and we want to rack up as much testing on it this week as we can.

#92 - Sept. 18, 2007, 4:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Uh...he addressed the topic very well. He said that the new sound driver, which is independent of VoIP, is what's holding the patch up. You just didn't read very well, or are making baseless and therefore invalid assumptions.

As in debugging, one should never assume there is only one thing to fix. Testing is iterative, with each build you find out some things and you go and fix them. Some things take longer to fix than others. Fixes haven't been confined to any one section of 2.2.

So, I wouldn't agree with your interpretation as written.
#151 - Sept. 18, 2007, 7:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I doubt you're still reading this, but I'll ask anyway and hope for an answer. Friend of mine wanted to come back to the game recently after a long hiatus, but he got a new comp with Vista, and the game is pretty much unplayable for him. The sound in the game causes his game to have fps issues, sound chugs, etc. Does this patch resolve this problem? I take it the problems many users are having with WoW on a Vista machine are also part of this whole revamp of the sound system?

You're right, the thread is long - best thing for that player to do is install the PTR patch and try it out.