Voice Chat has been removed from PTR

#0 - Sept. 19, 2007, 6:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
At 7 PM pst today, voice chat was removed from the PTR. There is a blue post on the test realm forums explaining that the intent is to re-implement it later this week after some internal testing..but...........

maybe they are going to scrap / delay until after ZA patch??

--fingers crossed
#6 - Sept. 19, 2007, 4:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
"Temporarily disabled" does not mean "removed" (since all the code is still in the client).

There is some server hardware/software shuffling going on, which affects the servers that provide the voice chat service.

Please note that we have the capability of selectively activating and/or deactivating voice chat on all or a chosen subset of WoW servers as needs require.
#13 - Sept. 19, 2007, 4:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Please keep in mind that we are approaching this patch with all due care and consideration for the possible issues that may come up. As you can see in the sticky post at the top of the forum, we do have a plan for implementation and a part of that plan is being very cautious to watch for what issues are affected by the new sound system implementations and what issues are affected by the Voice Chat.

Being able to disable the Voice Chat let's us take a look to see if the issue is with one or the other easily and identify problems much quicker so that they can be taken care of.

For those that work on their own computers now and then, it's much like taking out a part here or there to see if it is the source of the problem or if it is something else.
#28 - Sept. 19, 2007, 4:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I swear, you guys would look at a car with no tires, no engine, and no transmission and go

"ooooh! Lets put a radio in it!"

Well how else would you be able to listen to music while hanging out with your friends?
#34 - Sept. 19, 2007, 4:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

We've developed these wonderful things called portable music players.

No way.

BTW... You don't need to disable Voice Chat. You will need to enable it if you want to use it. If it makes you feel better though, you can enable it and then disable it just so you feel like you made your point. :)
#61 - Sept. 19, 2007, 5:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

HAY GUYS EVERY1 AT BLIZZ WORKS ON THE SAME PROJECT 1 AT A TIME RITE

There are approximately 135 developers on the WoW team. Do you honestly think they have all 135 working on VOIP, and then all 135 working on dances, and then all 135 working on new hairstyles?

We buy those hairstyle guide magazines and all try to cram into the biggest meeting room to go through it. Then we vote on the ones we like. That takes at least a day. Didn't you know that? I'm very much against the mullet but I think I'll end up outvoted.