No mods? We don't want you.

#0 - Feb. 28, 2008, 12:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Another day, another failure.

First, I could not get into an end game guild because I could never find one that raided on the days I have off. I work weekends and during the days I work, I don't get to play until after 10pm.

Then, after a few months of searching, I find some guilds that run raids on the days I have off. But they are full and not wanting new members. Or if they do, they only want certain classes. And it's not yours.

9 out of 10 guilds look you up on the armory and say your gear is crap. "No gear, no raid." The problem is that if you do not raid, you cannot get the gear. Kind of like getting job experience but no one will hire you because you don't have any job experience.

THEN I find a guild that lets me in. But they won't let me raid with them because I don't have any mods.

I think that last one annoys me more then any of the others.

WoW can be played without mods. If they were a requirement, Blizzard would have provided them. You don't need window dressing to use a window. It just makes it a little more attractive to look through is all. And besides, I've been here since day two of original release. I can safely say that I know how to run an encounter in an instance by now. And if it requires a specific stradegy, is typing it out that hard? Or perhaps I can look it up on the internet. There is more then enough information out there to walk you through anything in the game.

So telling me that this mod or that mod is "mandatory" to raid seems unnecessary. Yes, yes, the guilds have every right to do this. It's their guild, after all. But I spent $2000.00 on this computer to upgrade it. I'm not going to put it at risk by downloading a mod. "Use best known ones and avoid that." Whatever. I read the CSR forum and cringe at all the posts of people logging on to find their characters stripped of all gear, banks empty, and either deleted or transfered to other servers. "Restores are not guarenteed," says the GMs. When you consider that, I don't think I'll be using any mods, thank you very much.

I'm also no big fan of Vent either in the game or outside of it. It ruins the experience to have your battle sounds or music interrupted with "Stop breaking the sheep, you *bad word - bad word."" And to me, it ruins the roleplaying immersion. Sure, it makes things easier to coordinate but Onyxia was defeated before Vent came along. I'm pretty sure Kael'thas can be as well.

So I don't want to use mods or Vent. "Then you'll never see end game because people use them and don't like to play with those who do not."

Great.

Am I alone in this boat or does anyone else agree?

#388 - Feb. 29, 2008, 7:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think one of the strong points of the game, and one that's actually strengthened since release, is the ability to play how you want to play. You aren't forced to conform to someone else's standards, you have just as much ability and right to create a guild with your own outlook on the game/features and proceed how you wish. There are likely others that share the same viewpoint and will gladly join someone that takes a minimalist approach.

Now, that said, you're certainly not going to progress as easily or quickly without those tools. The far reaches of the game have to take into account that those attempting to reach it are using every measure possible to gain any bit of advantage they can. Meaning the rules of the game have to assume you're using those tools, and without them you'll certainly face a more difficult time progressing.

I wouldn't worry about it though, you're still leveling and you have a ton of content to see and experience. You don't need a guild that's going to tell you how to play, and not all of them do. Good luck to ya.
#393 - Feb. 29, 2008, 7:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Drysc, the developers of this game have given us boss fights in which you must know your exact location on the threat table in order to win. How does one do this in the absence of a meter? Why is threat hidden from us? Please be specific.

Yes. You probably don't. It's not hidden, it's just not accurately provided, but the mods out there obviously work well enough for now.
#443 - Feb. 29, 2008, 8:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Nobody puts Baby in a corner!