Mage Q About Frostbite Change in Patch

#0 - April 17, 2007, 2:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The mages have a question about the change in the patch notes: "Frostbite" effect is now subject to diminishing returns in PvP.

After screenshots for proof and definitive testing on the PTR, it would seem that the patch notes are not entirely accurate (or at least only a partial truth). In actuality, Frostbite shares these diminishing returns with both Frost Nova and Water Elemental's Freeze.

Now, I've made two other threads debating the relative merits of procs putting cooldowns on diminishing returns, especially when those cooldowns are so central to the core of a talent tree (read: Mage Frost Tree). However, in this thread my purpose is not to debate the issue. If you're looking for debate on the issue, refer to:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=95981055&sid=1 (Mage Forums, 7 pages long)

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=96070934&sid=1 (PTR Forums, 10 pages long)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I would simply like to ask one question that I think a 7 and 10 page long thread (in addition to multiple other threads either directly or indirectly addressing the issue) entitles the community to a response about.

Is it known and intended that Frostbite's diminishing returns are SHARED BY FROST NOVA AND FREEZE? If it's definitively intended, discussion will likely continue on the topic. If not, the mages who have been testing these changes on the PTR and are concerned about them are at the very least entitled to know that this is the case so they don't continue to "beat a dead horse," especially when doing so involves lots of time and testing.

I'm not trying to be unreasonable or inflammatory or demanding, I'm simply requesting -- in the nicest possible way -- a response to the above question.

Thanks!
#137 - April 21, 2007, 8:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The current plan is to change the effect so that Frostbite only has diminishing returns with itself, not with other frost spells. Don't have exact details on the functionality, but the core issue is known and being addressed.