Blue: Am I being scammed?

#0 - March 29, 2008, 1:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I just got this email today from wowreportedpost@blizzard.com.

I removed all the emails from the post just in case they were keylogger emails.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings,

This email is to inform you that you have been suspended from the World of Warcraft forums for a 1 week period for linking to cheats, hacks, Trojan horses, or malicious programs. The account owner is responsible for any activities for which the account is used. Please scan your computer system and update your account's password. Also please refer to our support site at:
<email removed>

Please be advised that this notice serves as a final warning: any further violations of the World of Warcraft Forum Code of Conduct may result in permanent removal of your account from the World of Warcraft forums. If you feel that you have been wrongly suspended please send your reasons to this email address: <email removed>

It's important for us to provide a civil and friendly environment on the forums, where all players can feel comfortable sharing their thoughts with each other. Your support in helping us maintain this goal is appreciated.

- The World of Warcraft Community Team

World of Warcraft Forum Code of Conduct: <email removed>

Customer satisfaction is a top priority here at Blizzard Entertainment, and we would like your feedback on the level of service you have received. Please feel free to provide such feedback at the following web address: <email removed>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am obviously not banned from the forums and I can log into the game. I have never broken any rules on the forums and wish to know how a mistake like this could of been made if it were not a scam and actually from Blizzard/

Please advise me what I should do.

#9 - March 29, 2008, 1:35 a.m.
Blizzard Post
You do have multiple accounts registered to your e-mail address, please contact wowreportedpost@blizzard.com if you have any questions.
#16 - March 29, 2008, 1:43 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Also, pointing him to the Customer Service forum would be very helpful.

Customer Service wouldn't be the correct place to direct someone asking for assistance regarding a forum suspension.
#42 - March 29, 2008, 2:39 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Thank you for your response.

However, my wife plays right next to me and she has NEVER posted on these forums.

Please take the content of the e-mail you received very seriously. In these cases an account is generally hacked in some way, usually from a malicious program being installed on your machine, and after they've taken anything they can from the characters they will then use the account to post more links to these malicious programs.

As I said if you have any further questions about the suspension itself please e-mail wowreportedpost@blizzard.com

As Rizz recommended I would also suggest you visit our Customer Service forum for help on ensuring your accounts and computers are secure, and characters and items intact.

We also have a general reference/information page on account security:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=20572&searchQuery=security&pageNumber=1