Start making 8-piece sets again...

#0 - Sept. 12, 2007, 11:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The token system is great, I love it. But honestly, 5-piece sets just don't deliver the "impact" that the 8-piece sets did. Maybe that's in part because the sets are being introduced so quickly compared to original WoW, but I think the full sets just had a much more epic "look" to them. When you had your full Tier 2, you weren't just a Paladin with great (mix-n-match) gear; you were a Paladin with *Judgement*. Or Dreadnaught; I remember seeing guys with pieces of Dreadnaught, and thinking "Wow, they're almost 'there'", and nothing is more intimidating than seeing a warrior walking around in his full Dreadnaught armor (particularly, when he's running at you in Warsong Gulch, lmao).

I think the 5-piece sets definately have their place, but they just feel much more "temporary", whereas the 8-piece sets just had a sense of power about them, that made them much more desirable.
#15 - Sept. 12, 2007, 11:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The problem with a big 8 piece armor set is that it may cause someone to ignore an item that would be great for them as they are focused on the specific items that will get their set bonus. With the 5 piece sets, players are able to mix and match pieces to fit their style of play better or even help out for the specific encounter they are at.

At this time we are happy with the itemization that the 5 piece armor sets offer and plan to continue implementing them.
#38 - Sept. 12, 2007, 11:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
The same could be said for 5-piece sets. Sure, there's a somewhat-larger chance of it happening with 8-piece sets, but then you guys were on the right track with the set bonus being applied at 8 pieces (leaving the 9th piece with no bonus, which gave room for customization).

And we applied this idea to the new sets so that the set bonus is applied at 2 and 4 pieces. So not only does it take fewer items to get to, but it allows for a wider range of items to be equipped and used in your other slots so you can prepare yourself to your satisfaction for whatever encounter you are going into.