Mal'Ganis in CoT Stratholme

#0 - Aug. 29, 2007, 9:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So I really like the concept of this new Caverns of Time: Stratholme instance. However, there's something that's bugging me after reading this interview: http://wow.mondespersistants.com/?article=403&page_art=2

Q u o t e:
And then Warcraft 3 players know Stratholme from the mission called "The Calling" where you were Arthas and you go to the city, you had to kill the plague villagers, before the plague spreads and defeat Mal'ganis. That was the moment that those buildings were lit on fire. We're gonna put you in a 5 person instance in Caverns of Time back in Tanaris Desert, alongside Arthas. So you gonna get to interact with him but back when he was a good guy so he's still wearing all this, you know, shining gold Alliance armor, and alongside of Arthas you're gonna adventure through that mission, light Stratholme on fire and kill Mal'ganis.

Mal'Ganis wasn't killed or even defeated at Stratholme; after the city was purged, he told Arthas to come after him and then fled to Northrend. Arthas only went to Northrend to get Mal'Ganis; he only claimed Frostmourne to get Mal'Ganis. The dreadlord died in the epic battle near Drak'Tharon Keep that ended the Alliance campaign in Warcraft 3.

So if we, the WoW players, kill Mal'Ganis in Stratholme, wouldn't it totally negate everything that followed after? I am hoping that perhaps Kaplan just mis-spoke, or it's not decided yet, and that Mal'Ganis the 5 man instance boss will just flee at the end, leaving something behind that has loot in it.

And before any says it, I know: LoreLOL!
#17 - Aug. 29, 2007, 10:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Anytime you killed Mal’Ganis in the Stratholme level of Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos, you only succeeded in slowing him down. His body would reform shortly thereafter to continue taunting Arthas and encourage him to take the path of insanity… and power.

No matter what happens to Mal’Ganis in the upcoming Caverns of Time instance, his mission to drive Arthas to Frostmourne will not be undone.