I want to defect and betray my faction.

#0 - Sept. 11, 2007, 6:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So... originally Blizzard said that they would not allow people to defect to the other faction because of the horde / pally difference in the factions. Now that this is no longer so... I would LOVE to be able to defect from Alliance and join the Horde. Not only would this add some life back into my now forgotten characters, but this would open the door for some faction balance on many servers.

Steal some of the good ideas EQ2 has... let us defect. Seriously, their defection quests are some of the best in the game. I had more fun on those quests than I have on any quest in any game I have ever played.

Here's how I see faction progression happening:

1. Player wants to defect to faction X.
2. Player does a series of quests to defect, and becomes hated with their original faction and only slightly less hated or unfriendly with their new faction.
2b. Or, player would be hated with both and become a "neutral" or an "exile". (On a PvP server, they'd be open to attack from any faction. All zones would be contested for them. They would only have access to the neutral cities, AH, etc.)
3. Player does quests to build faction with their new choice. Break into cities, steal stuff, kill people, etc etc.
4. Player becomes Neutral with their new faction and can now interact and play just as any normal person would of that faction.
5. ???
6. Profit

Post your ideas, questions, comments, flames, whatever.

Edit: I changed the thread title, cause people hate gnomes and it derails the thread. haha
#81 - Sept. 11, 2007, 11:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Before joining either the Alliance or the Horde, one must be a devoted, loyal, and honorable person. Having a character turn their back to this would betray everything they swore to protect. With the high tension that already exists between the two factions, a character’s safety could not be guaranteed in any location as people on both sides would be very unforgiving.

You are free to roll new characters at anytime if you want to play the other faction, but we have no plans at this time to add a feature that changes an existing character’s faction.