Forum Reorganization

#0 - May 17, 2008, 3:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
On Wednesday, May 21, we’ll be making some changes to the way the forums are organized. While the majority of these changes only alter how the current forums are grouped together, we will be removing the Guild Recruitment forum entirely, and replacing it with new Guild Recruitment – Alliance, and Guild Recruitment – Horde forums. By splitting the forum we’re effectively cutting the posting traffic of the forum in half which will help keep the recruitment posts there visible for a longer amount of time before falling off the first page. When this change happens all posts currently in the Guild Recruitment forum will be removed, so if you or your guild currently have a recruitment post there please keep a copy to repost after the split.

We don’t anticipate these changes to cause any issues for posters while we make them, but some forum navigation options may only be partially functional until we’ve completed the work.

Thanks and have a good weekend!
#41 - May 21, 2008, 9:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Thanks everyone for your patience as we shifted things around a bit. Just a quick run-down of changes we made:

Aside from the "crucial" forums such as Customer Service and Tech Support, everything that isn't in a sub-category has been alphabetized. "Non-critical" forums such as SCII and WotLK forums are left at the bottom.

The Guild Recruitment forum has been split into an Alliance and Horde variation, I would fully expect traffic to increase substantially for a bit while people rush to get their ads up, but it should slow back down after a while.

There's a new "Gameplay Discussion" subsection which now houses the Dungeon & Raid, PvP, Professions, and Quest forums. Possibilities exist for other forums to be added to this subsection in the future, but for now we think its pretty solid.

The drop down menu (the thing in the upper left of every forum) reflects all of these changes, and should hopefully provide a clearer and more logical separation.

In addition, the "WoW" prefix has been removed from all forums as everyone should already be aware they're looking through forums related to World of Warcraft.

We now hope we never have to change them ever again. Thanks again, and happy foruming!
#46 - May 21, 2008, 9:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Drysc, I don't want to imply that I'm the only person who ever reads sticky posts or anything, but the Guild Relations "welcome!" sticky post doesn't really work for Guild Recruitment forums. ;)

Oops! I thought I was copying the one from the old Guild Recruitment forum, thanks.

Q u o t e:
The part that I hate is the fact that if you go into one of the new forums that's in a subcategory (say D&R), you can't get to the class forums without going back out into the 'index' because the nav drop down list only contains the forums that are in the current subcategory. I brows the paladin forums, the D&R forums and General pretty often and to get to those three you've added 2 additional clicks. /annoying.

I'll have the programmers look into that, I don't think there's any reason for it to be acting like that.