Epic flyer worth 5K gold blizzard?

#0 - June 10, 2008, 7:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I think not, consider the fact that not everyone can take the MANY months it will take to obtain such a high priced item, not to mention the fact the HUGE difference in gold from the standard flyer. i could see maybe 3K, how about lower the price down to a reasonable amount.....say for the next xpac? maybe you will keep some of those "paying" customers happy.

Yah i have 2 epic flyers...didnt get them from farming gold though.....

its called friends quit playing this game cause of lolarena....
#71 - June 10, 2008, 10:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Obviously each player's ability to make money is going to differ due to professions and play style, but I can't say I've ever read or heard or talked to any one that regretted buying one. It could be that those are the people that are generally generating gold quicker, or it could just be that the shocking difference in speed changes their play experience so drastically for the better that they can't help but wish they had done it sooner. The latter is the only option I've specifically come across though.

So, is it worth it? Yeah, probably.
#81 - June 10, 2008, 10:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Is anyone at this point really working from 0 gold all the way to 5k though? That's just poor money management imo.
#85 - June 10, 2008, 11:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I was after making spellfire/spellstrike sets on my mage.

Fair enough, but you could have also farmed your own mats, or at least most of them like I did, and made money in the process. A longer process to be sure, but it didn't have to bankrupt you. *shrug*
#91 - June 10, 2008, 11:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Well, maybe those new to the game...WoW still gets genuine new subscribers no?

I was referring to a character at level 70. In my experience it's pretty difficult to hit 70 without at least 1k gold. My 62 has 1500.
#96 - June 10, 2008, 11:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Every time someone asks this question the Blizzard responses is basically "It's worth it because we say it is." It's not that I necessarily disagree that it's worth 5,000 gold (I agree with it more now than when TBC first came out, as gold is more available; I still think it's about twice as much money as it should be) but the responses are canned, generic, and arbitrary.

I didn't say that at all actually, and you can speak directly to me, I'm still a person.
#105 - June 10, 2008, 11:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Uh... no. You do not have a way for players who generally PvP to earn money doing so. Sure there is the daily, and its good for covering the repair bill. But thats about it. People who mostly PvP don't get a lucky roll on a world drop, they cannot use their Arathi Basin tokens to purchase Primal Nethers to sell when they need some spare cash, and they do not get to roll for the shards from loot that wasn't needed. I know that it everyone has to farm (I do, almost every day) but I had to spend far less time farming when I was running instances which I always made a profit from.

I don't see what that has to do with anything, but ok, if you're just sitting in a city safe from the world and doing nothing but entering queues then it's going to be difficult to afford much beyond what the PvP dailies reimburse. Sure, and in my personal opinion I don't think that's so horrible.
#112 - June 10, 2008, 11:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
There is always going to be someone who goes the extra mile. It is possible to justify anything that way, but should you? Probably not. If you want more people to experience epic flight it's going to become more accessible. Since it hasn't become more accessible, I can't assume that's the case.

It is more accessible though. The price hasn't raised to match inflation, so it's automatically much more accessible now.

It was intended for those people that want to go the extra mile. It isn't necessary to play the game, but if you want to save up the money and fly around stupidly fast, then it's there, and it's a great gold sink for those types of people who generally have too much of it.
#130 - June 10, 2008, 11:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
It's so far from being necessary that it borderlines on worthless, though. It's 5,000 gold and many, many hours of farming's worth of bragging rights.

Ok, so that's your opinion on its worth to you. Don't get one. Other people want to farm, or want to travel faster, and that's their decision.

Q u o t e:
It basically creates a situation where you've farmed all of this money just so you can farm faster.

It's a good use for it, but not the only one. Access to a Nether Drake is a pretty good reason. Being able to catch/kill people is another good one. Traveling faster outside of farming? Yeah it's good for that too.

Q u o t e:
At least the 900g epic mount in Vanilla WoW had uses outside of farming. Flying mounts are way, way more limited than that.

I think it has more uses than you're giving it credit for.

Q u o t e:
Blizzard's opinion that it's worth a lot because you're flying fast and flying fast is worth it and it's worth it to fly fast and etc on and on until the end of the universe is silly and arbitrary and I stand by that.

I never said it was "Blizzard's Opinion", and I don't think I used any such cyclical logic. It's worth it if you want it and enjoy the benefits it offers. If not, don't, and enjoy the game the way you want to enjoy it and stop worrying about what other people have.
#134 - June 10, 2008, 11:34 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Hopefully when WoTLK comes out the flying mount prices will come down like from TBC when epic land mounts got slashed in price and getting gold in WoLTK will become alot easier to get like when the TBC came out, thats when i'll get my epic flying mount...is that going to happen Drysc?

Probably only if there's another riding skill added above it, which at this time isn't known.
#146 - June 10, 2008, 11:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
But isn't that the very point of this? We're talking about whether or not it's worth it. People that buy it thinking it's worth it (why wouldn't they, and again, paraphrasing) is poor justification for a bloated cost.

Heh, you're still trying to quantify worth as if it's this single thing that can be applied to everyone. If you have 10k gold and enjoy farming or just want a cool looking mount is it worth it? Probably. If you only log on once a week to chat with friends and maybe run a dungeon, is it worth it? Probably not.

Worth is subjective. Is it worth it to you? Answer that for yourself, don't worry about anyone else says, including me.
#153 - June 10, 2008, 11:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
You can make the price virtually anything you want, but no matter how much or little it is, judgment based on the satisfaction of those who purchased it is a bad way to decide on fairness of price because these people would obviously buy it for anything.

Ah ok I see where you're going. No the price wasn't justified by some arbitrary means of satisfaction.

You look at how much someone makes leveling up, you take estimated costs and selling prices of various materials. Money gained from dungeons, etc. All these things can be averaged, and then you place a point in time where you think it would be appropriate for someone that's accumulating money to be able to afford this one thing. 5000g seemed like a good price point. Someone would have to either be really dedicated to playing a lot, or want to reach that goal and what would be a reasonable amount of time to reach it?

Time is the factor in pricing, not relative "worth". That would just be silly.
#264 - June 11, 2008, 2:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Drysc, with the recent changes to quest experience below 60 and reduction of experience needed to level to 60, that means that fewer quests and mobs are killed by the time a player reaches 60. This results in a dramatic reduction on gold earned as well. My priest is 53 and he has maybe 150g. I actually lose money while levelling now because training costs are higher than what I earn in the two levels.

What are your professions?

edit - Nevermind. Okay so Alchemy/Herbalism. Definitely not a bad choice, but if you're not collecting extra herbs beyond what Alchemy is eating you're probably not going to see much money coming in. Or "scrilla", if I may. Now I can't really tell how you're playing, but your reputations seem to hint to something a bit off. You're 52 and you're not Revered with any faction but Stormwind. That just strikes me as odd personally.

I'm not sure what to tell you beyond the normal "try to sell everything on the AH", "pick up and vendor all greys", "get all 16 slotters or bigger asap", etc etc

As I said I'm leveling right now, have a 63 with 1500g, so there's definitely money to be made. I don't personally feel that the leveling adjustments have made an impact that isn't countered by the inflation of the economy with this most recent character.

I DO think they made mining a bit tougher when you hit Mithril, but that may have just been me.
#278 - June 11, 2008, 2:53 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
AH HAH, EARLIER YOU HAD A 62 WITH 1500G! Very evident of level hacking.

I've been found out!

Er, actually I'm 63. I'm not sure why I put 62... it's so hard to keep track when I'm so awesome at leveling so quickly.