No one angry about buying the authenticator?

#0 - June 27, 2008, 1:58 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So... I've seen a lot of positive support from the community so far about the blizzard authenticator (http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=24660 if you live under a rock) and am strangely surprised to find myself in the minority irritated by it.

None of you are angry that you have to pay so that those nasty hackers can't get your password? No one thinks that it is kind of ridiculous that Blizzard is requiring you to buy additional security measures on your own rather than improving security for their product on a hardware level?

I don't intend on spending $6.50 to buy this thing. Does that mean that, if my account is hacked, I'll open an in-game ticket and they'll say, "Tough, should have spent $6.50 on the Authenticator?"

This doesn't strike anyone else as a little bit ridiculous?
#85 - June 27, 2008, 2:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
The million dollar question is if Blizz will be less likely to restore your account if you didn't elect for a securID.

We currently have only the intention of releasing the authenticator to provide an extra layer of end-user security for those interested in purchasing it. The idea is not to punish players who do not purchase this; but rather, to provide additional account protection for those who do.
#272 - June 27, 2008, 4:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So, let me get this straight, if we want to protect our account we purchase this? Thought the account and characters that are associated to belong to Bliz? Why would I buy something to protect someone elses property? It's their property they should protect it.

This property is completely protected on our end. We cannot without a doubt, however, prevent someone from obtaining one's password as a result of compromised system security on the user's end. For this reason we are offering players the ability to purchase an authenticator. The unique codes it provides will be required whenever logging into one's World of Warcraft account.
#324 - June 27, 2008, 5:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Off the top of my head I can't think of one. Give me a few and I'll come up with an answer for you.

I think this is the very point. You've certainly come up with a lot of theories about how we work. Just saying stuff doesn't make it true though. You're going out of your way to explain something with little to no evidence, when in fact all evidence provided thus far has proved to the contrary.