Can we steal a few things from LotRO, TR & WO

#0 - Jan. 17, 2008, 4:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Yes I played LotRO... I wanted to be a Hobbit and see The Shire in 3D? Happy? (Did I just lose my cool card?)
On to the subject…
From LotRO can we "borrow" the title system? WoW should have a lot more titles. There should be a title for everything. If you want to take the time to kill 10000 Murlocs just so you can be known as "The Scourge of Murlocs", you should be able to. Plus you can then display said title to other people. I guarantee every player in the game would have it. I know I would since I friggin hate Murlocs. The sound they make makes me want to drive down to the nearest orphanage and kick the kids there.

From Tabula Rasa we need to “borrow” the city stealing/capture system. If no one defends a neutral outpost (Area 52, etc) it will be taken over by NPC’s. Then players need to work together to capture it back! Otherwise no quest turn ins/shops, etc.
This is just a really cool feature that should be in every game. Should be really fun on PvP servers too!

From Warhammer we should “borrow” the tome feature.
This will keep track of all the mobs you killed, what their weaknesses and strengths are, some flavor text on the mob, etc, etc. It would get filled in every time you kill a new mob. The more mobs of that type you kill, the more info the tome provides you.

That is all.

/Thoughts?
#10 - Jan. 17, 2008, 4:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
From LotRO can we "borrow" the title system? WoW should have a lot more titles. There should be a title for everything. If you want to take the time to kill 10000 Murlocs just so you can be known as "The Scourge of Murlocs", you should be able to. Plus you can then display said title to other people. I guarantee every player in the game would have it. I know I would since I friggin hate Murlocs. The sound they make makes me want to drive down to the nearest orphanage and kick the kids there.

We want titles to be meaningful in WoW and not commonplace. Our goal is to release more titles sparingly, so that the titles carry weight with other players. We do have a lot of plans for some new systems incoporating titles in Wrath of the Lich King. More information will be coming out on that soon.

Also, we feel like we have to be careful about rewarding people for behavior that might not be the best game experience. As much as everyone loves killing Murlocs, I feel like I have a moral and social responsibility not to encourage you to grind out 10,000 Murloc kills.

You'll always be the Scourge of the Murlocs in my book, Lexorn. No need to grind that much ;)

#17 - Jan. 17, 2008, 4:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Why can't you make it so that cities like Halaa (well, pick another one, not Halaa) give a server wide buff to players, if it is controlled by your faction?

That would provide an incentive for players to capture and hold it. For example, a 3% increase in damage while the city is held or something.

Just having zone specific buffs was a good start, but it needs to be more epic than that.

That's a cool idea. Maybe we'll do something like that with Lake Wintergrasp.