Why there's a lack of fresh tanks

#1 - Feb. 1, 2011, 4:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi,

I recently (a few weeks back) rolled a warrior for the first time. From 1-60 I would occasionally go in to dungeons as a tank and had no real problems. From 60-84 I was more interested in getting to level 85 than doing instances, so I stuck to questing. Now that I'm level 85 and have some half reasonable tanking gear, I wanted to start tanking the new cata instances. Obviously I was completely new to tanking at this level and have a lot to learn. The things is, I've given up trying to learn. When I enter an instance from the dungeon finder I can either tell them that I'm new and ask for patience, which usually results in the healer leaving either before we do anything or after the first mob, or I don't tell them I'm new and then get told Im going far too slowly and i'm a 'nub' and people leave.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I WANT to be part of the solution to the lack of tanks, but I can see why there is a problem now. Others don't have time or patience to let people learn, so we don't learn and that's another possible tank who won't bother anymore.

I would love to go with my guild as they are a far more patient group, but there's rarely enough people online to do that.

has anyone else had these sorts of problems before, and if so, how did they overcome them?
Forum Avatar
Community
#20 - Feb. 2, 2011, 9:50 a.m.
Blizzard Post
You're eager to get more experienced at tanking but can't find people patient enough to help? That's a shame.

I see you're saying your guild has few people online, but maybe you could consider looking at trying to make more friends outside the guild, instead? You could possibly try introducing yourself on public chat, stating that you're relatively new to tanking and are looking for people who are patient enough to help you learn the ropes. If I saw that on my realm, I'd want to help you out. And I'm pretty certain there are other people out there that'd be up for helping out too.

Whatever is the case, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you continue to persevere.
01/02/2011 4:51 PMPosted by Waryor
Does anyone have any suggestions? I WANT to be part of the solution to the lack of tanks, but I can see why there is a problem now. Others don't have time or patience to let people learn, so we don't learn and that's another possible tank who won't bother anymore.

I would love to go with my guild as they are a far more patient group, but there's rarely enough people online to do that.
Forum Avatar
Community
#35 - Feb. 2, 2011, 10:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Some really helpful suggestions here, folks!