Bashiok post in response to a ninja looting complaint

#1 - May 26, 2011, 9:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Posted by Valerie
Losing the dice roll =/= Ninja looting

This.

I think what you want is a system that keeps people from rolling on the gear you want because you don't believe they deserve it to the same degree you do. There are already restrictions in place that keep people from rolling on items they can't use. We don't want to begin restricting what people can roll on based on current spec, because that's not a black or white situation, which is how the system would need to be set up to work how you'd like.

There are some surefire ways to avoid or seriously cut down on situations like this, but it should be understood that if you enter into Dungeon Finder your rolls can go up against the rolls of someone else, regardless if you think you should get preference or not.

If you're looking for a certain item, I'd let the group know before the first pull and ask if anyone else is going to roll need on it. If nothing else it'll show everyone your intent, and put anyone on display who (at the consensus of the group) isn't playing by what you'd consider to be fair.

I cannot post on the USA forums... but anyway. For the longest time I've been unable to understand why the blizzard people don't understand where these complaints are coming from. Or if they do understand it, they do not sound like it, from the content of what's posted.

It's SO the wrong deal that a tank thinks he deserves the gear more than a DPS. It's completely not 'it'. It's really this simple:

A tank goes into the 5-man - - his gear and his talents are specialized for tanking. 100% specialized, just like everyone else is specialized for their role. Then, you get a platemail DPS wearer who's specialized as well. But then, they are allowed to snatch loot away from one another, and from the tank's perspective, it may as well be a clothie mage who snatched that tank gear. That tank is the only tank in the group, the snatcher wasn't in the group as the tank, and it's an unfair mess . It's equally unfair when a platemail-wearing tank goes snatching the DPS gear, maybe even moreso because the wait for DPS in the queue is longer.

I've never understood why this point seems to be not understood. It is really obvious to me. The fair way to do this is allowing priority to the role + equippability (hm is that a word?).

I also wonder why, as a hunter, I'm allowed to roll need on bop tank backs? and tank rings? Anything like that should be off limits to me regardless of the fact that I can physically equip it. It makes me rage a little inside whenever I see tank gear pop up and because of what I consider incomplete design, I can roll against the tank for it.

I hope you guys actually understand, and its something you don't have the ability to do yet (because perhaps it would take a lot of setup and reclassification). You guys are the best in the entire industry at this stuff and I struggle to believe that you really don't understand. But, if you do, youall don't show it when you post :(.
Forum Avatar
Community
#4 - May 27, 2011, 9:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
27/05/2011 00:47Posted by Eldred
So, where did this MS>OS rule come from? It started with the community, but obviously Blizzard did not care for it.

I would just like to make it clear that we do understand why some people would like to see some sort of MS > OS loot rule in the game. We have read a lot of feedback on this topic, and although we do recognise how frustrating it can be to lose a roll on some gear you really want, we do not agree that a MS > OS loot rule is a good idea for the very reasons explained by Bashiok in his posts:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2592639984?page=3#48
There are already restrictions in place that keep people from rolling on items they can't use. We don't want to begin restricting what people can roll on based on current spec, because that's not a black or white situation, which is how the system would need to be set up to work how you'd like.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2592639984?page=20#396
To bring one more to the table (or reiterate one, I haven't read all 20 pages), and it's one that is a big reason why the system works as it does: if only tanks can roll on tank gear, then it becomes really hard for anyone else to build up the gear they need to be able to tank. We would end up with a bunch of undergeared tanks ("Sorry guys, but this is the only way I can get armor,") or worse, fewer tanks in the system overall because nobody can get gear. People would be forced to gear for healing or tanking through other means because they wouldn't be able to move fluidly from leveling as DPS to Dungeon Finder and begin acquiring the gear they need to fulfill their role. Or, the Light forbid, one day someone decides they want to try healing or tanking and needs to begin building a set.

At some point systems become so 'helpful' that they're a detriment. For that reason we have to reach a point where we're making sure we're stopping the majority of negatives, but not squeezing the egg of problems so hard that we create four messier ones.