How to fix wow installation error code 8?

#0 - Feb. 10, 2010, 5:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Please pardon me for intrusion, but I could not find solution to my problem within what was already posted on this forum.

I was continuously ending up with the same error shown here

" The installer was unable to read the file "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft Installer\Installer Tome 2.mpq". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at C:\--for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer. (The data being read was "MPQs-1\Classic common\unconditional\Data#common-2.MPQ\World\Maps\Kalimdor\Kalimdor_33_37.adt", and the error code was 8.) If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (Converter::Load)"

I read on one of the posts about the windows diagnostics and I followed all the steps to no avail-it did not fix the problem after I ran the through test on my memory and hardware as indicated.
(This is the link http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=10021039)

It would not work beyond the point mentioned above although all 6.4 gigabytes of files were downloaded.

What should I do to fix this problem so that I could get back on and play.
#4 - Feb. 10, 2010, 4:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi Crimfury,

Code 8 errors are usually memory-related errors where the computer reads a file into RAM, extracts it there, gets corrupted somewhere and the installer doesn't know what to do with the new/different looking data. Your best bet would be to do a memory scan to see if you have any basic memory errors. Windows Vista and 7 have a memory test built in. Just click the Start menu and type in Memory. You'll want to use the extended mode option when the memory test starts, and let it loop for a while.