LFR issues and how to fix them

#1 - Dec. 23, 2011, 1:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've been playing the latest patch a lot. And thus I have some feedback for Blizzard on how everything is going. I thought I'd add a topic about this to combine what I've read and experienced in LFR so far. From what I can see from other topics on this, there's a lot of players who are having bad experiences. So, my feedback, based on doing LFR with many of my chars.

Getting the kills

I rarely see a group fail on the first 4 bosses.
Hagara kills players but overall groups manage to kill her, regardless of deaths.
Ultraxion doesn't go down easily. The tanks usually have no clue, so random dps (usually the best) start dying fast.
The Warmaster boss usually goes down if you can manage players to stack up. When the boss jumps down, if you didn't have too many deaths, the boss goes down fairly easy.
Spine is, just like Ultraxion, a fight that depends highly on tanks but as well on dps. If the tanks don't know what to do, you won't stand a chance. If dps kill the mobs too fast or too slow, you may have to start over again, but since the healing requirement is next to nothing, it's just a matter of not too many players ragequitting.
Madness usually goes down but you still need tanks to pick up adds in the last phase and healers need to have decent healing. Unlike Spine, you'll need decent healing or you won't survive. The dps'ers can be taught to single target the small tentacles and if they also manage to get the bolt down in time, you don't often wipe on this encounter.

Overall there's still a lot of groups wiping on bosses in the last four bosses. Do I want you to nerf those bosses ? Hell no! There are other ways to solve this.

Players not knowing tactics

While this is, in essence, a player issue, I think Blizzard could help players more, with teaching them the tactics. While their aren't many mechanics left from the Normal encounters, making each encounter a Patchwerk type, there are still some things that players should be aware of to make sure the group doesn't wipe. I don't see how a player would need to learn anything about the first 3 fights, but on the next 5 bosses, it would go a lot smoother if players know tactics. An easy solution would be to make players more aware of the Dungeon Journal and that they can just ask in raid chat (make a login tooltip maybe). But another solution would be that Blizzard makes tactic movies themselves, for LFR only of course. If you played the latest Deus Ex game, you'll see that whenever a player encounters a new feature or situation, the game plays a small movie in-game on how to handle this. Yes this makes the game easier, but you can always turn them off or skip them. Besides LFR is the "easy" setting of raids, right ? Maybe even a link to the Blizzard website where players can watch the movies outside the game would provide some help.

Entering raids automatically

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature but currently, if you go afk while in a LFR queue, you will enter the fight when the timer runs out. I don't see how this is a good feature at all. First of all, the player will have entered an instance without knowing, perhaps even killed a boss and be locked out of loot without him/her being able to roll on it. Second, the group gets a replacement, but that replacement is afk. If the group notices the player is afk, they can kick the player again (what's the benefit again?) or worst case, they pull, and notice their tank/healer is afk and have to wipe the encounter. It would be lovely to see this "feature" being removed as I can't see anyone liking this at all.

Loot rolls up for too long

There are multiple reasons why this can happen. A player is disconnected, AFK, left the raid or has been kicked. Still the entire raid has to wait for the last player to finally pass until they have their loot. Some players want to leave after the loot is being handed out and sometimes this forces them to leave during the NEXT boss's fight. Especially on the Warmaster, Spine and Madness fight this seems an issue. Easy fixes:
- If you have to activate a boss by speaking to an NPC, then make players unable to do so until the loot has been rolled for, and even a bit longer, so players can leave.
- If players are flagged AFK from the start of the fight till the end, make them automatically pass loot.
- If player leaves or get kicked, before or during loot rolls, they should be automically passing loot.
You can't implement something for dc'd players, okay, that's fine, let's hope players don't disconnect too much then.
Forum Avatar
Community
#4 - Jan. 13, 2012, 3:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
First I would just like to say thanks for the feedback :-)

The system is not perfect, and we definitely seek to improve it when we can. We are always looking for feedback and ways to improve our features, and feedback from players always helps.

We have a small update in regards to the above mentioned bit on the topic of loot:
- 2 identical items drop and a player wins both.

In patch 4.3.2., if multiple identical items drop from the same boss, and a player rolls on all those items, the subsequent rolls from that player will be forfeit if said player wins one of the items. A player will still be able to win the same loot more than once per dungeon though, but only if it drops from two different bosses.