Nostalgia and You

#1 - Oct. 18, 2015, 11:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Back in 2008 when I started playing wow the experience was breathtaking, a friend of mine had tried to bring me into the world a couple of years before during vanilla. But I wasn't going to pay for a game I'd already paid for and all that jazz. Eventually I thought what the heck, let's see what all the fuss is about and oh my...I was hooked, I was on my trial account and this game was seducing me to subscribe, I had ten days to decide (http://media.wow-europe.com/bctrial/index_en.html) but resistance was futile. So I subbed, I had a level 10 rogue and my fiancée became a wow widow. My journey began and man did I love it. I was absolutely awful at this game, I had no clue about macros (click click click), I didn't know rogues weren't supposed to equip gear with intellect, I thought slice and dice was something you hit the mobs with, I never did a dungeon until level 56. I also created this warlock, and I thought using my voidwalker while I attacking mobs with my wand was awesome, I was a complete noob but I loved it.

Today I was levelling a gnome priest due to boredom from this xpac and this music was playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRiQE-xvDyQ

I was snapped back to those first days and almost felt sad, levelling with friends at stupid o'clock in the morning, keeping away from the elites and mobs a few levels higher than me. Trying out the red quests only to fail hard, seeing a level 70 paladin and being in awe of him as he despatches those elites with ease. Gaining maybe one or two levels a night and learning the story of that particular zone I was in. And every time the little chime played when gaining a new level. All this and more. It's strange how the music from this game can do that to you, especially if you've seen a lot of changes to the game over that long period of time. Almost eight years I've played, I've enjoyed almost every expansion except the current one as each have their own great memories. But despite this terrible expansion, I still love this game because that music reminded me why this game is still one of the greatest games I've ever played. What is it about this game that creates nostalgia for you?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#7 - Oct. 19, 2015, 12:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The Elwynn Forest music always gets me, particularly in the evening or early morning.

Fairly recently I went to see some family, and got back home fairly late at night. I decided to hop onto WoW before heading to bed, as I find pet battles a good way to relax.

Just walking out into Elwynn Forest, as the sun was rising on the horizon, the music kicked in - instant feels. In that brief moment I was back in 2005 again, in awe at this world I'd set foot into.

Fun story time: During my first night playing WoW, I couldn't tell the difference between normal players and NPCs. I went up to one of the Guards and started talking about what a nice evening it was...
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - Oct. 19, 2015, 12:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
19/10/2015 13:38Posted by Shammoz
19/10/2015 13:36Posted by Aerythlea
Fun story time: During my first night playing WoW, I couldn't tell the difference between normal players and NPCs. I went up to one of the Guards and started talking about what a nice evening it was...

That's taking RP to a whole new level :)

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, I was on a PvP server :P