PvP vs Ganking

#1 - Dec. 11, 2010, 11:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
This is by no means a rant, more of a suggestion, and before you say "you should have rolled on a PvE server", please read up. I've always played on a PvP server since I like the aspect of a fight whenever and wherever, I have no problems with being killed once maybe twice by the same person it is expected after all, but one thing that goes against this is ganking, it's by no means fun to be on the receiving end and in some ways there are too many disadvantages to being ganked such as ress timers, removal of buffs/pets (weakens us before we can retaliate) etc, so I have a few proposals as to how to resolve this issue:

1. Remove the ress wait timer so that we can ress straight away and not have to wait up to 2 minutes if we are being constantly targeted. (only applicable to PvP kills)
2. Sustain buffs through death (only PvP applicable)
3. Better yet place some sort of protection if repeatedly killed by the same person, so instead of a ress wait timer there is a "can't attack player for x minutes" debuff on the ganker themselves.

I do enjoy a PvP world, but there is a limit to being ganked several times over, so would be nice to see some effects that discourage players from doing this to others. I've found this a particular problem on Cata since the advancement in gear means I'm often being ganked by someone with 3 times my health (if not more). Feel free to give som constructive critical feedback if you agree/disagree.
Forum Avatar
Community
#4 - July 20, 2012, 9:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Some great thoughts here :)

On the topic of ganking though, it's a tough one to handle. Many players join a PvP server so that they can seek out and inflict revenge on members of the opposite faction. You see players wishing for more world PvP like the old Southshore/Tarren Mill conflicts, and maybe some of the things you suggest would harm those kind of battles.

I'll play devil's advocate here (in my PvP server days I was always the victim rather than the ganker).

If buffs are sustained through death, that takes away some of the challenge of finding the person very quickly once they ress. Mind you, buffs can often be applied very quickly.

A debuff to prevent you from killing someone multiple times is a bit of a party pooper, and could potentially be abused — you'd have a hostile that was invulnerable for a limited time.

I think any PvP-kills-only debuffs/changes to timers could potentially add confusing layers of complexity to the game. Also, 'PvP-kills-only' could be possibly be avoided by waiting until a mob was attacking the gankee, then allowing the mob to get the killing blow.

You'd also have to make sure all these buffs/timers didn't apply to PvP zones like Wintergrasp and battlegrounds, and that players can't enter the zones with anything like that active.
Forum Avatar
Community
#29 - July 20, 2012, 3:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
20/07/2012 10:55Posted by Dermacrosis
Didn't they also have dishonourable kills in those days?

Yes but I don't think it did a great job to discourage those who wanted to do it deliberately. You could also get a dishonourable kill by being in a group with someone who killed a lowbie, this happened to me when I was outside an instance with a group once, I was heartbroken.

Yes it is a real challange waiting for them to res and kill them again with such a low health level and being so low levelled they don't even hit you when they try.

Depends on the difference in levels. Obviously if someone is a lot lower than you then yeah, the 'challenge' argument doesn't apply :)

Or they could be made worth no honour if killed in a short time like when you HS. Possibly even the unthinkable bring back diminishing returns on honour.

True, although it only helps if people are actually ganking for honor or just for the fun of finding enemies to kill. I suspect a large portion of people do it for the latter reason, seeing as BGs are a much better source of honor points.

Well given that you can already turn off certain thing in Arena and BGs, even making things only work in a certain way, and have this ability for a while, surely it can be done to this too.

Yeah sure, I was only mentioning it to point out that it wouldn't be that straight-forward to implement, and we always have to weigh up the urgency of changes like this against other things that demand developer time :)
Forum Avatar
Community
#30 - July 20, 2012, 3:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
20/07/2012 11:23Posted by Felyae
Use the PvE-Server-Mechanic

As Oldtrafford pointed out, the whole point is that it's a PvP server. The rules and mechanics should be different when it comes to PvP.

Ganking is just part of a PvP realm that one just has to accept as reality. Sometimes i'm the gankee (if it's red it's dead!) other times it's myself getting the gank/corpse camp. I remember the other day I was questing in badlands on this character doing some old quests, when a 10 levels higher player than me ganks and corpse camps the hell out of me. I then rallied afew friends to the zone and dished out our own piece of justice ;-). It's abit of fun that adds abit of spice and danger in the zone.

While I can understand peoples frustration getting repeatedly ganked by higher level players in zones the reality is nobody is forcing you to be there. If the guy won't quit go do a BG/Random Dungeon/Heartstone/change zones or get some friends together. Often I'll just go make some coffee/do RL things for 5mins and often the enemy would have gotten bored and moved on. Anything that could discourage people engaging in combat in the world (regardless of level) would be a negative thing - naturally this just my POV.

Well said, some very good points :)
Forum Avatar
Community
#34 - July 20, 2012, 3:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
20/07/2012 15:34Posted by Shyàel
Why don't you just call some people to help you? It often works to just call out for help in the general channel and some higher level people of your faction will come by to gank the ganker :-)

I see this quite a lot, people are generally happy, if not keen, to help in these situations. Otherwise, you can try to quickly log and get your main to dish out the justice yourself. Revenge is oh so sweet :)