Let's Talk About Blood of Sargeras being BoP

#1 - June 10, 2016, 3:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello All! I'm a small time youtuber/long time wow player and I'd like to talk about Blood of Sargeras being BoP on the beta. If you're not interested in reading the whole thing, there is a TL;DR at the bottom.

I've been closely following the beta as I'm sure many of you have as well. One of the things I enjoy about WoW is its crafting system and professions. However, during the beta among numerous other issues one thing has become a bit of a problem.

In order to advance both professions and your artifact weapons, you will need Blood Of Sargeras in substantial amounts. Think of it like Savage Blood, as in that many recipes require it, but it's fairly uncommon. While myself and many others think it's just fine for it to be uncommon, there is a problem.

Blood of Sargeras is currently a bind on pickup item, which means it cannot be traded/sold/mailed/sent to another character.

Here's where it becomes a problem. The main method of getting it is through gathering professions. While some people do opt to go with a combination of having a gathering and a crafting profession, many of us with alts have a dual gatherer and one or more dual crafters. This is nothing new and the game has been this way for literally over a decade.

Now other than gathering, a small amount of Blood can be obtained through fishing and world quests. Unfortunately this amount is so low however, that it seems to be taking 4-5 times as long to gather the same amount of blood compared to just getting it from gathering.

This means that in order to get the large amount of blood of sargeras needed, you would need to drop a crafting profession and pick up a gathering profession.

For players like myself with unobtainable recipes, this is an unacceptable solution.

On the flip side, if you have dual gathering, you will end up with large amounts of Blood that you will not be able to use and will simply be vendored or sit around and rot.

So not only is this a departure from tradition (I.E. Change for the sake of change) it is also forcing players to play a certain way.

So what is the solution? The solution depends on what Blizzard's vision here is.

If the problem is that resources need to be more scarce: make Bloods BoE and make them harder to get.

If the problem is that nobody cares about gathering: make Bloods BoE/BoA and the sole source of bloods.

If the problem is that Blizzard doesn't like gold farming: make bloods BoA.

If the problem is that Blizzard doesn't like dual crafters/dual gathering: they should make gathering professions into secondary professions where they really belong.

If the problem is that gathering professions are too good/fishing is bad: Make the amount of blood obtained from fishing competitive with gathering.

I believe that all of the proposed solutions could make Blizzard happy and keep crafters happy as well.

Now while I'm not saying that we as players should start a campaign like flying or RealID, I am saying that Blizzard as a company should respond to the feedback from the beta about this unpopular design choice that does nothing for the long-term or short-term health of the game.

So if a blue does read this, I just ask that you check the proposed solutions and think carefully about not forcing this decision through. After WoD I had hoped that the development would be conscious of avoiding these kinds of mistakes that needlessly upset players that are otherwise happy with the product.

If you read the whole thing, thanks for reading and I hope that at least someone out there agrees with me (especially if it's someone at Blizzard!).

TL;DR Version: Blood of Sargeras is BoP, it should be BoE/BoA to not make life difficult for dual crafters/dual gatherers

Edit: Added another solution involving buffing fishing.

Edit 2:

to quote Ion from the livestream:

"There are players that are double crafting professions wishing they had a gathering profession now and to some extent that is how it should be."

Ion talked about this during the QA stream. His answer was that it will be obtainable from dungeons and fishing. We already knew about fishing, but dungeons is a good start. This still doesn't answer the problem for dual gatherers or other professions that can't make use of them. From his quote, it looks like they are indeed trying to force us to take gathering and crafting instead of a dual.

Edit 2:Looks like we've been heard, they are making them more accessible than they are on the beta. We just need them to give a solution to Dual gatherers at this point!

A bit more information here -

You will also see Blood of Sargeras from Disenchanting Rare and Epic items in a future beta build, as well as an increase in the cadence and quantity of Blood of Sargeras from Crafting World Quests in the Broken Isles.

ICYMI: Watcher discussed the idea of BoP crafting materials during yesterday's Developer Live Q&A (short summary of that [url="http://www.wowhead.com/news=253605/6-15-weekly-legion-developer-q-a-assistant-game-director-ion-watcher-hazzikostas#what-is-the-design-reason-for-bop-crafting-materials-not-boa-example-blood-of-sa"]here[/url]). Next week's Live Q&A covers professions specifically, so feel free to submit questions on this topic [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20745106330"]here[/url].
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#414 - June 18, 2016, 12:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
06/16/2016 09:27 PMPosted by Yudonsimie
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20743964229?page=4

06/15/2016 11:33 AMPosted by Zugsworth
Hi friends - I just wanted to chime in that in the next beta build you should see more Blood of Sargeras dropping from non-tradeskill sources (dungeons, in particular).

A bit more information here -

You will also see Blood of Sargeras from Disenchanting Rare and Epic items in a future beta build, as well as an increase in the cadence and quantity of Blood of Sargeras from Crafting World Quests in the Broken Isles.

ICYMI: Watcher discussed the idea of BoP crafting materials during yesterday's Developer Live Q&A (short summary of that here). Next week's Live Q&A covers professions specifically, so feel free to submit questions on this topic here.