New built-in totemic projection

#1 - March 17, 2016, 9:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Are there any plans to make spirit-link totem drop at the feet of the caster like it's been in the past? Having to project the totem at a target location is very clunky and can cause a lot of problems when using the ability.

This is one of my main concerns right now with the spec, and also makes me curious if there are any plans to add in totemic projection again as a baseline ability.

In pvp, the split-second it takes you to get a link off results in living or dying. The extra second it takes to place the totem in the correct spot, whether that's far away or right on top of your character is game-breaking. Take for example, an ability like fear. If you get feared and have to trinket then use spirit-link totem, your character is going to be displaced and you'll take an extra second or two to land the link. Along with the projecting issue, most pvpers hold down their right-click, so once you hit your spirit link it messes up your curser/movement. This built-in projection with totems is a neat idea, but for spirit-link, I find it to be horrid.

I, myself, have been playing shaman since the end of WOTLK and have always loved the class. I've been at the highest level of pvp for a few years now and have normally accepted changes with the class, but this one is different. I enjoy a lot of the new mechanics and totems, but this change is sadly enough to make me quit the class if it happens to go live when Legion is released.

This is my feedback on the new mechanic, I do think this doesn't cause many problems with other projected totems such as earthgrab and voodoo totem, but with spirit-link I think this is a HUGE concern. Would very much love a blue post on this topic.
Forum Avatar
Game Designer
#5 - March 18, 2016, 11:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Thanks. We definitely understand your concerns and we're looking at ways we can improve how this spell is currently working in PvP situations. Sorry I don't have any specifics to share on it now, but wanted to let you know we have heard you.