[Feedback] Frost Death Knight

#1 - Jan. 29, 2016, 5:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've always loved this spec, despite its torrid history. I'll try to add more testing feedback as time goes on, but right now, I have to write something about how much I dislike "Sindragosa's Fury", the special ability received from obtaining the artifact weapon as a frost death knight. Maybe a different implementation of the ability could save it, but let me explain why I dislike it so strongly in its current state.

First of all, we already have a Sindragosa-themed flavor ability in Sindragosa's Breath (which is currently AMAZING and more fun than the live version as unholy). Therefore, the ability doesn't feel all that unique. Great, we can call Sindragosa herself to breath frosty badness on our enemies every 5 minutes, but I can also breath frosty badness MYSELF every 2 minutes and it's way more FUN (and less dangerous, which I will get into next).

Maybe if Sindragosa actually landed or something and started cleaving and tearing people apart, it would be a cooler and more helpful ability. Instead, she does a sort of bombing run. The ability says it should only hit mobs in a 4 yard cone in front of me, but when I'm out questing and feel stupid enough to try this ability, she seems to aggro every mob in the vector of her bombing run from where I'm standing to like 50 yards away. I can imagine players with low graphics settings suddenly seeing an army of mobs materializing out of the blue to murder them and never using the ability again.

For such a powerful ability, being afraid to actually use it is counterproductive to having fun. Furthermore, you're disconnected from the ability. It doesn't make the player feel more powerful. On weaker mobs, Sindragosa just insta-kills them, so you shrug and move on and contemplate whether or not you just wasted a 5 minute CD. On more powerful elite mobs, you don't really notice any difference in their health bar after using the ability. I've actually wondered if she hit them at all without the benefit of addons to break down my combat log. In raids, this is just going to be a button you press every 5 minutes and don't even pay attention to - the kind of ability you would want to macro in with Pillar of Frost if you could and ignore because it makes such little impact on how you play.

Please brainstorm a different implementation for this ability, especially considering it is our artifact signature ability, or just scrap it entirely for something better.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#38 - Feb. 26, 2016, 7:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Locking this thread.

Please continue to discuss this spec in our new Legion Class Feedback forum.

Thank you!