Gamescom crowd reaction spoke volumes.

#1 - Aug. 11, 2015, 12:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Seriously I watched that developer interview.. on sunday and they tried to suggest that the german fans were really excited. I saw the live stream of the Legion reveal. There is no doubt that the gamescom crowd reacted as if they had just seen grass grow. There was no earth stattering roar. There was no Insanely loud reaction that required the developers to wait for the crowd to die down. Nope it was a tepid hmm I have to consider this. It was a we need more factual information to really get excited. And that is the general feeling from wow vets. Blizzard has a lot more to do before folks really get excited about Legion.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#33 - Aug. 11, 2015, 2:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/11/2015 05:40 AMPosted by Pissedjedi
Seriously I watched that developer interview.. on sunday and they tried to suggest that the german fans were really excited. I saw the live stream of the Legion reveal. There is no doubt that the gamescom crowd reacted as if they had just seen grass grow. There was no earth stattering roar. There was no Insanely loud reaction that required the developers to wait for the crowd to die down. Nope it was a tepid hmm I have to consider this. It was a we need more factual information to really get excited. And that is the general feeling from wow vets. Blizzard has a lot more to do before folks really get excited about Legion.

Something interesting that I've noticed while at events is that video sometimes doesn't capture the vibe or how loud things really are. An example is BlizzCon. I've seen comments like "why is the crowd so quiet" when in fact it's incredibly loud actually at the event.

Also keep in mind that not everyone there is a native English speaker (gamescom draws people from all over the world). A lot of people were most likely trying to take in the information and were reading the translated bits on the sides etc. And lastly... different culture = different means of expressing themselves. Don't judge by American standards.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#55 - Aug. 11, 2015, 2:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/11/2015 07:46 AMPosted by Ted
08/11/2015 07:27 AMPosted by Nethaera
Don't judge by American standards.

lol

Yah because human body language isn't the same in other countries.
Yawning in another country means lets party and sneezing means you're hot.

Yawning for people who have been at a large convention all day (remember it was much later in their day than ours) and waiting in large crowds to see a presentation (I think one man said he waited 6 hours) is a sign of being tired (generally speaking). Nothing more. I'm sure we've all yawned even in the midst of having fun. It's a physical response, not a cultural one.

You don't have to cheer and be loud to be excited for something.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#71 - Aug. 11, 2015, 3:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/11/2015 08:14 AMPosted by Ted
08/11/2015 07:56 AMPosted by Nethaera

Yawning for people who have been at a large convention all day (remember it was much later in their day than ours) and waiting in large crowds to see a presentation (I think one man said he waited 6 hours) is a sign of being tired (generally speaking). Nothing more. I'm sure we've all yawned even in the midst of having fun. It's a physical response, not a cultural one.

You don't have to cheer and be loud to be excited for something.

Neth i understand the whole situation i'm just giving you hard time :P because i am actually bored :)

Don't make me give you "the look". I will do it...
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#85 - Aug. 11, 2015, 3:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
It's like you read what I said, extracted only what you wanted to rebuke, then filtered everything else out. I feel like a Blizzard CM now.

Ha! You have no idea. ;)

What about the bored faces of the sweaty nerds? Even half the front row was snoozing.

I already answered that to some extent. It was a long day at gamescom for them and what you may interpret as "boredom" may not be so. Unless you're in their heads, I don't think you can define their state of mind or even physical or psychological exhaustion.

I think overall, people are reading way more into the crowd than they should be. How you personally feel about the expansion announcement shouldn't need to be reinforced by a crowd of strangers at a convention. Either you like what you saw and are personally excited, or you're apprehensive, or you just don't care. That's all an individual choice you get to make based on your own thoughts and experiences.

I often think of the Monty Python scene where the character tells everyone they are all individuals and they parrot back, "yes, we're all individuals." Ultimately, your enjoyment and excitement of the game comes down to you and your own personal choices.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#96 - Aug. 11, 2015, 3:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Let's try to avoid disparaging remarks aimed toward the presenters. I know I'd not want to be the one on stage. ;)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#202 - Aug. 11, 2015, 8:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
08/11/2015 01:00 PMPosted by Delmore
08/11/2015 08:54 AMPosted by Nethaera
Let's try to avoid disparaging remarks aimed toward the presenters. I know I'd not want to be the one on stage. ;)

Oh Nethaera, you've been with the community for so long, I'm sure everyone would want to you be on stage!

We can't always get what we want. ;P