Dear Zarhym,

#1 - July 30, 2015, 8:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I do sincerely enjoy seeing your posts, especially when it's in my thread.

And recently, i heard you express your thoughts on your anxiety/anxiousness being average when an expansion is about to reveal. I was wondering, i know you can't leak anything, but can you confirm...

That it isn't orc related ?
You said you are looking forward to the communities reaction, so i'm betting its bigger, but I can only hope better.

Sincerely,
Quentiam.

edit: this thread* blew out of proportion! I had no idea there were going to be so many responses and conversations.

I especially do appreciate the managers coming to this thread and being mature with all the nagging.
It really means a lot that you guys do actually MANAGE.

Thanks for all of the positiveness.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#12 - July 30, 2015, 9:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Don't tease me to tease you about being teased! (I got lost writing that.)

Seriously, even though there are people frustrated with aspects of Warlords, or simply just a little worn out from spending so many years playing this game, I hope your curiosity about what we've got cooking is still there. It should be a fun event next week. I trust that many people in this community can check any baggage they might have at the door and earnestly step into the announcement with us.

It's not just about building hype either. We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going. :)

I can say no more!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#30 - July 30, 2015, 9:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 02:45 PMPosted by Malveillance
It's not just about building hype either. We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going.

Is that not hype? lol

I mean, that's the thing. Hype is innately a part of announcing a thing. I've just seen a lot of people talk about our "hype machine" in a highly cynical fashion lately. I know it's because we've announced some things and then changed our plans or cut them further along in development.

I'll just say that we're sensitive to that. Our intent is never to share big ideas or plans purely for the purposes of generating additional hype. All that's going to do is breed frustration and mistrust down the road. None of us chose careers in snake oil sales.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#44 - July 30, 2015, 10:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 02:49 PMPosted by Newshoes
07/30/2015 02:38 PMPosted by Zarhym
simply just a little worn out from spending so many years playing this game

So sick of listening to this excuse, stop blaming bad game design on people just getting "tired" of playing.

C'mon, man. You removed the first part of my sentence in your quote where I specifically brought up players being frustrated with aspects of Warlords. That doesn't mean fatigue isn't a factor for anyone who's played this game for a long time.

I could even say: stop blaming game design for every player who takes a break or leaves. The number of people who have ever played World of Warcraft is astounding, and it breaks down into endlessly diverse populations containing immeasurably diverse opinions. But no, you're right, in that none of that excuses design flaws. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#48 - July 30, 2015, 10:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 02:49 PMPosted by Nightelfbane
It's not just about building hype either. We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going. :)

And then, when people don't like what lies ahead and start talking about it, locking those new coversations!

I don't know if that's an honest comment or more of a jab. But either way, I've been moderating and posting in blue on Blizzard forums for 9 years now, and never has there been a time where we've tried to completely stamp out honest conversations of opinions about the game or speculation of what's to come -- at least not simply on the merit that the opinions being expressed on a given topic are largely negative.

Anyone who reads this and wonders why specific threads they were involved in were deleted in the past, the answer is almost definitely in our forum posting guidelines and Code of Conduct. Nowhere in those guidelines, however, does it say that you aren't allowed to share a negative opinion of the game. For real!
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#61 - July 30, 2015, 10:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 03:02 PMPosted by Alarienne

Seriously, even though there are people frustrated with aspects of Warlords, or simply just a little worn out from spending so many years playing this game, I hope your curiosity about what we've got cooking is still there. It should be a fun event next week. I trust that many people in this community can check any baggage they might have at the door and earnestly step into the announcement with us.

I can say no more!

It would help if you didn't refer to player concerns as "baggage" because that's pretty condescending, in my opinion.

I wasn't referring to player concerns. Concerns generally stem from an earnest place, and we respect that many people have them. I was referring more to people who have maybe already judged what we have yet to announce, as well as how it fits into our grand scheme of being the most evil game designers we can be, because reasons. Like:

07/30/2015 02:52 PMPosted by Dessertfork
We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going. :)

What's the point of getting new conversations going if the Devs are already on a war path to water down the game even more while increasing cash shop content and disregarding any legitimate playerbase concerns?

More of the same:
"guys, we've learned a lot from the last expansion"; "guys, we heard what you have to say but that doesn't mean we'll be implementing what players really want"
"guys, we made a mistake going a certain direction so we'll take a fresh look at lessons learned from the last expansion"; "guys, players don't always know what they want or what's best for the game so we'll be doing what we do anyways"

Yeah, looking forward to new conversations about more rehashed content repackaged as expansion/patches.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#109 - July 30, 2015, 11:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 04:14 PMPosted by Hanjha
07/30/2015 03:59 PMPosted by Chàrliesheen
Not saying that is what the guy is trying to say at all, but if he isn't: some command of the english language would be nice.
Zar says easily misconstrued things far to often and when someone calls him out on his often dismissive and arrogant tone he just stops responding or says he was misunderstood. The fact that (as he'll often tell you) he's been a blue for 9 years means he should know to chose what words he uses veeerryy carefully. For that reason, I'm inclined to take everything he says at face value.

I choose my words carefully. But I'm also not going to be a perfectly polished PR robot when I'm sharing in conversation on the forums. I don't think a lot of people would appreciate it if I was either.

I don't have a problem with you taking what I say at face value. That's fair. I don't know that your summation of my communication style is very fair though. I'm vastly outnumbered on this forum and my words are in bright blue to attract everyone. And there are scores of people who will take every possible angle to pick at what I'm saying. And I know that that's going to happen before I hit the "Submit" button, but I'm not going to let that completely tongue tie me when I want to talk to people.

I'm not asking for sympathy. It's part of the job, I know. The job also requires a lot of empathy and a lot of rallying on behalf of players when discussing feedback internally. Hopefully, even if my manner of posting rubs you the wrong way, you can at least understand that we're not meant to be at odds with one another. We want a fun video game that brings people together with joy, regardless of how complicated that can be for a game and community of this magnitude.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#129 - July 31, 2015, 12:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 05:05 PMPosted by Nebulae

I can say no more!

First off. I am glad we're getting blue responses more and more lately here. Just wish heroes of the storm got the same treatment although I'm sure that's not something within your control.

Second. Despite disliking 90% of WoD. I loved updated models, and toy box but still so we didn't get at least a race. Garrison's are mostly mindless. Something about 6.2 got me into the game a bit more. Playing somewhat more. Not as much as I did back in the peak of MoP but still. This expansion I'd compare to cata as they being my 2 least fav expansions. I personally disagree with the lack of flying pretty much the entire expansion (not going to get into that debate) and the orcs, orcs AND OH YEAH MORE ORCS! Is a bit tiresome especially after 5.4. Still.

I am keeping an open mind for the next expansion hopefully you learn from your mistakes with WoD and improve on them. I am really hopping for new race/s (AROAKKA PLEASE!) And maybe, just maybe a class(DEMON HUNTER!!!!) When I first read about WoD way back when I was very disappointed from what I read and then it was meh. I played it at launch and got 2 chars to 100 and before 4 months has passed I had all but completely stopped playing. Until 6.2 sparked a bit more interest. I really, really hope that's not how this next expansion goes.

Thirdly. I hope you guys can keep to you not going a year + without new content. With that I guessed presuming you don't do a wrath thing and add a random new content patch that we'll likely get whatever this expansion is between December and February (roughly) as that'll be around 8-10 months ish since 6.2 launched. Which would explain why you're revealing it in august until waiting for blizzcon.

TBPH I am excited for the next expansion reveal. But I don't want to come off harsh but last time you disappointed me so I'm trying not to get to hyped.

I love Blizzard as a company, I really do. I love their products. I've been with bliz for a lil' while and I'd like to be with you longer. For most part I enjoy spending money on your products. And I really hope you deliver and bring us something awesome!

I doubt you'll respond to this but I do hope you read it. Thanks for everything and I hope the next expansions is awesome.

<3
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#130 - July 31, 2015, 12:35 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 05:07 PMPosted by Rethox
My main issue with the blue posting is that they often never respond to well thought out threads regarding actual game suggestions, and threads that are actually addressing valid concerns with the game.

We may not respond to many, but we certainly read them, note them down, and relay the feedback directly to developers. We've said it before; there are times where we just can't comment, or we're privy to information about upcoming changes that we've been asked not to address (we don't want to spoil all the surprises). It's part of the process and part of our job. But that doesn't mean we don't care or aren't reading your feedback. Sure, we could jump into a suggestion or feedback thread and merely post, "Thank you!", but that's often seen as antagonistic to some, and not nearly enough for others.

By all means, please keep posting suggestions and feedback. We do appreciate it, and we'll continue to relay it to the developers.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#137 - July 31, 2015, 12:43 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 05:11 PMPosted by Fichallenged
It makes it very hard for me to get hyped for next expansion when devs in interviews don't focally acknowledge how bad certain things are right now. "We learned some lessons" does not give me hope for a better future, because we've heard that line a thousand times over.

I do understand your point and don't want to distract from it, but also that statement is 100% true every time we use it. We always learn a lot from the design decisions we make, and how they play out in both a test and live environment, that we can carry forward. And that's a good thing.

There's a vast amount of game design knowledge and expertise on the team, but like virtually any other job you still learn as you go and do your best to positively apply that extra knowledge in your latest work.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#163 - July 31, 2015, 1:30 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 05:38 PMPosted by Yrel
We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going

can you give us the most littlest detail about the expac like a new version of a box

I can't! I'd be killed. And I wouldn't drop any loot.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#180 - July 31, 2015, 2 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 05:47 PMPosted by Nanooka
07/30/2015 05:35 PMPosted by Crithto
We may not respond to many, but we certainly read them, note them down, and relay the feedback directly to developers. We've said it before; there are times where we just can't comment, or we're privy to information about upcoming changes that we've been asked not to address (we don't want to spoil all the surprises). It's part of the process and part of our job. But that doesn't mean we don't care or aren't reading your feedback. Sure, we could jump into a suggestion or feedback thread and merely post, "Thank you!", but that's often seen as antagonistic to some, and not nearly enough for others.

By all means, please keep posting suggestions and feedback. We do appreciate it, and we'll continue to relay it to the developers.

You may not be able to get say much, but a small little pop in saying you at least saw and are relaying the topics would be HUGE. When people see no responces even though we may believe you guys are listening it starts to look otherwise. The players are just as passionate of the game as you guys are and simple small acknowledgements would go a long way to have people at least know you saw the post. Especialy with the big hot topics. I really feel sorry for the pvp'ers. those poor buggers don't get any info at all.and every suggestion seems to be countered with another terrible idea.

I won't say that's a bad idea and I don't mean to come off as stubborn here. In principle I agree with you and we've done those types of acknowledging responses in the past. Sometimes, though, the acknowledgement creates a separate issue unto itself from the "we're being ignored" perception, in that people sometimes take the acknowledgement as an indication of action on our part. At first it's a pretty innocent, positive thing to show acknowledgement. But, depending on what the feedback is about, some people will ask why we haven't done anything about it 24 hours later, a week later, a month later, what have you.

It creates an almost cyclical pattern where people still feel ignored if we let the acknowledgement sit alone and linger without more input from us, except it can create even more tension 'cause we're viewed as blatantly disregarding something we previously acknowledged. Now suddenly we're viewed as willfully or stubbornly ignoring a topic we've clearly seen. The act of acknowledging is just another empty gesture at that point.

Again, I'm not saying it's never a good idea. It usually depends on the circumstances. But those are just things we have to think about and weigh before tagging something in blue. As I said earlier in the thread, the blue tends to bring a lot more attention to a topic. If we throw acknowledgements around without more meaningful input to provide as a follow-up, or without some type of clear design reaction, after a while it's going to come across as insincere, and synonymous with ignoring the issue anyway.

The field of Communications can be pretty complicated, even when you want to keep things as simple, transparent, and honest as possible. No matter what type of community is formed around something, especially online, people will dissect everything that's said, pick statements apart, reinterpret words, band together over common beliefs/opinions, drift toward whatever popular theories are going around, etc. And I don't mean any of this in a cynical or condescending way. It's just sort of how we're wired, and the internet adds a whole other element to social behavior in a community. If that makes sense... :p
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#183 - July 31, 2015, 2:08 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 05:50 PMPosted by Yoduhde
07/30/2015 05:40 PMPosted by Tiresias

I know I may come off as harsh and I really am sorry for that. I try to treat the CMs with respect because this is their job. It is how they take care of themselves and feed their families. Hopefully it is something they love to do as well but I still cannot help my feelings. Lied to, deceived, a fool and just plain stupid for still playing WoW when I feel they really don't give a damn. Holding to adult conduct would not let me full express these feeling if I cannot say "blizzard lies", no matter how over the top the statement seems.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Really I am. I understand you feel let down for whatever reason. We've all been there.

And here's the thing: This is a video game forum. It should be a place where people can come to enjoy then game. If you feel you can't offer criticism - including that you're very disappointed that Blizzard didn't follow through on a promised feature or plan - in an adult way, then that post has no place here.

That goes for me as well.

I'd love to talk separately about the whole "Blizzard lied" thing, but it's a bit off topic. In a nutshell, I don't think Blizzard ever intends to break promises to the playerbase unless they feel they have to (design decisions, things not working out as intended, etc). I think ascribing some kind of malicious intent to the developers for those decisions is what makes the post childish and hateful. And I think in adult conversation, we could do without that.

That being said, I think it's certainly understandable to say "well, you guys have said some things in the past, and then gone back on them for various reasons, so I'm not going to get hyped until I see the final product."

That's an incredibly fair and logical assessment. I can understand why some people imply more malicious intent on our part, but this post really hit the nail on the head. We all work here because we love video games -- we want to contribute and provide people with awesome entertainment experiences. We really take it to heart when we fail to deliver in any shape or form.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#192 - July 31, 2015, 2:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 07:10 PMPosted by Grralt
Which leads me to this question: do you guys ever post on normal accounts? Participate in a discussion posing as another player, so as to mitigate the influence and impact the blue text has?

No. It feels too shady. I chat with folks on my characters in the game like anyone else, but it just feels different on the forums. When we're not posting as actively on the forums we're often looking at things on a more macro scale -- including using some Community Management System tools behind the scenes for data analysis -- figuring out what are the common points of feedback and such, so for me it'd feel too much like meddling to jump in "anonymously."
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#196 - July 31, 2015, 2:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post
07/30/2015 07:19 PMPosted by Omnífiend
I'm really, really sorry Zarhym, but after your amazing forumness, I still had to kill you in Diablo 3 tonight. Don't worry, it was over quickly. You suffered very little. Your loot sucked though.

I never mind! I always encourage people to kill me without hesitation or remorse in Diablo III. ;) I only feel bad when I don't give good loot.