The only valid concern about WoW Tokens

#1 - March 25, 2015, 4:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi,

With all the gnashing of teeth about WoW Tokens, there is only one valid concern that has surfaced about WoW Tokens.

Here it is.

There will be some inflation because of WoW Tokens.

No, I'm not talking about gold being created or anything. I'm talking about all the gold sitting on the sidelines, being hoarded by people like me. There is tons of gold on the sidelines not currently in circulation.

What the WoW Token does is bring a lot of that gold from the sidelines into the economy. Take me for example. I have 776K and will be spending a lot of that on WoW Tokens. The people selling the tokens and getting my gold won't be hoarding it, they'll be spending it.

So, with more gold in the economy, there will be some inflation. But don't panic, it won't be much, and the results won't be drastic. Stuff will probably sell for a bit more than in does currently, but that will help the ones putting up the Auctions, and only be a slight issue for those buying.

Opinions?
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - March 25, 2015, 4:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
03/25/2015 09:15 AMPosted by Draenybrit
Opinions?

I won't speculate on economic impact, but one thing I find interesting to ponder is where the wealthy acquired their wealth from, and if any wealth lost/spent won't just be reacquired from those same sources. :)
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#49 - March 25, 2015, 5:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
03/25/2015 10:36 AMPosted by Gimolos
I will add, I suspect Blizzard is going to price the tokens higher for the buyers than the sellers receive to create a gold sink they can adjust at will. So they will have a handle on inflation.

The gold price is dynamic based on supply and demand. Aside from setting a starting gold price when the system is first turned on, the fluctuating cost is determined by the market.