Blizz finally admits the problem. No DDOS'ing

#1 - Nov. 14, 2014, 11:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
https://twitter.com/CM_Lore/status/533399598820122624

Lore @CM_Lore · 2h 2 hours ago

.@_xalius the "problem" is that there are way more people trying to play than our systems can handle. (1/2)

Lore @CM_Lore · 2h 2 hours ago

.@_xalius There are several methods we can use to try to alleviate the strain, and we're pursuing all of them. (2/2)

Lore @CM_Lore · 1h 1 hour ago

@CallmeoprahLoL @_xalius I didn't say you were. It's absolutely our fault <----this tweet was in response to a paying customer asking how it's our fault they underestimated subs

We obviously expected an increase in logins, and prepared for well above what we were expecting. The actual amount is far above even that.

@Grissle_ We have to prepare new hardware and software to actually install. Nothing can be done until that's ready. <----preparing server upgrades for Saturday morning. Not before the Expansion

Pretty pathetic that blizz had to lie about being DDOS'd instead of just admitting that they didn't take proper precautions in bulking up their servers.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#106 - Nov. 15, 2014, 12:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
11/14/2014 03:57 PMPosted by Gezora
https://twitter.com/CM_Lore/status/533399598820122624

@_xalius the "problem" is that there are way more people trying to play than our systems can handle. (1/2)

Pretty pathetic that blizz had to lie about being DDOS'd instead of just admitting that they didn't take proper precautions in bulking up their servers.

Spreading misinformation isn't going to help anyone right now. At least one DDOS attack happened shortly after the expansion launched, but that wasn't the sole cause of ongoing performance issues. Nowhere in those tweets was there some admission of anything otherwise.

11/14/2014 04:07 PMPosted by Arlais
And isn't it great how we have to go to a ridiculous third party site like twitter to get news about a product for which we pay? Not to mention blizzard has, oh I don't know, this site right here to communicate with us but chooses to try and be all trendy by doing it through twitter. I despise twitter and facebook and those trendy useless wastes of bandwidth. I should not be forced to look for information there about something I pay money for.

This thread contains more information about the steps we're taking to address performance issues than anything you'll find on Twitter: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15270807748

Our top priority is to communicate the latest updates to players here on the forums and in our Breaking News section in the game client.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#211 - Nov. 15, 2014, 1:10 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm just going to be the bad guy here and lock this thread. I don't think there's a useful outcome to a discussion on if we're lying to people or not. Everything we've posted or said has been truthful, and with the full intention of keeping people informed of the current situation. There are other threads and topics to discuss how well those efforts are progressing.